TV Brightness control slipping

Greetings All,

I really do not frequent this group... but I now have a problem and would welcome ANY advice. My now malfunctioning TV is an old Sony 27" (model KV-27S35), manufacture date: January, 1997. It has been typically run an average of 15 hours per day.

Problem:

When I have my brightness control actually set all the way down, the color is (Briefly!) good and perfectly even throughout all the hues. However, it tends to rapidly increase so that what should be black, and in fact the entire screen, becomes blurred under a green tint. This includes overly bright (and of course green) bands above and below the images during letterboxed presentations. Problem occurs regardless of what is input (VCR, DVD, cable, etc). If I switch to an unused function, which therefore just shows a black screen, the brightness slowly fades back down to black in 5-10 seconds,... but, when changed back to the active image presentation, it once again begins to brighten and color everything in a bright green tint. So,... Questions:

Is this something which can be repaired ... uh,... cheaply?

Or, is there perhaps an accessible "re-set" switch inside the cabinet which can simply be tweaked to re-calibrate the brightness setting.

Is the picture tube just reaching the end of its life?... and perhaps going Green "Super-Nova" on me is my warning to save room in the dumpster?

Appreciate any suggestions, info, and advice before I give up and buy [groan] yet another TV.

Thanks! Bob H. Albuquerque, NM, USA

Reply to
Bob Hanson

nothing to do with the tube

NT

Reply to
meow2222

SIMPLE FIX have the video amp ic replaced it is a tda6111Q and more thanlike it took out the small fuse resiter in the 200 volt line that will fix your old timer

Reply to
David Naylor

Thanks for the suggestion Dave! Certainly would save me a lot of extra pre-christmas shopping headaches in congested stores... not to mention the extra bucks spent on a mid-sized replacement TV for this location ~ where EVERYONE (including the pets) seems to naturally park themselves throught the course of any normal day.

Worth taking a shot at it!

Thanks Much! Bob Hanson

----------------------- Dave Naylor responded: SIMPLE FIX =A0 have the video amp ic replaced it is a tda6111Q and more thanlike it took out the small fuse resiter in the 200 volt line that will fix your old timer.

-------------------- Bob Hanson wrote: Greetings All, I really do not frequent this group... but I now have a problem and would welcome ANY advice. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0My now malfunctioning TV is an old Sony 27" (model KV-27S35), manufacture date: January, 1997. It has been typically run an average of 15 hours per day.

Problem: When I have my brightness control actually set all the way down, the color is (Briefly!) good and perfectly even throughout all the hues. However, it tends to rapidly increase so that what should be black, and in fact the entire screen, becomes blurred under a green tint. This includes overly bright (and of course green) bands above and below the images during letterboxed presentations. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Problem occurs regardless of what is input (VCR, DVD, cable, etc). =A0 If I switch to an unused function, which therefore just shows a black screen, the brightness slowly fades back down to black in