Old Mitsubishi big screen FIXED!!

Well after spending most of a day, pondering the schematic, changing a few caps and a lot of thinking and probing, it seemed that I could make it verticle jitter by probing the pieces parts of the set, but not with

100% certainty. Then sliding each yoke back a little and rotating, hoping to find or eliminate any yoke leakage possibility. I called it a day and was to get a few additional caps monday.

Well I moved a tv from other room as a temporary substitute for the duration of the repair. I hooked the sub up in place of the Mitzi and that is when I discovered the actual source of the problem....

The cable box!!!

Have had a number of cable box problems over the years but haven't seen an intermittent vertical jitter before. I guess that after only 50 years of circuit shooting I still haven't seen it all..As Gilda used to say..."Its always something"

One looses the "hand" if you don't do this every day.

Many thanks for the inputs guys.

Reply to
gstringe

Gstringe;

I remember you, this is JURB. I was forced to change my handle by ISP, incredibly stooopid people at aol.

Fancy this one, sold a guy a monitor projector. A Panasonic cieling mounted unit. Has a VCR or something as a tuner, but gets a humbar on all sources whenever the cable is hooked up. I mean even the DVD had the bar when the cable was hooked up. This guy among other things is an electrician. Luckily that helped him understand the solution. Of course we weren't going to tell him to cut the ground prong off the projector, what we did was made him an antenna isolator. Just took one for a cheap set, the ones without an isolated power supply and attached an F connector so it would connect.

See the cable ground was in a different location than the power earth, apparently there is a voltage gradient between those two points.

Of course I was the guy who had to adjust the vertical height to fix a greyscale problem too. That's another story. Of course I also know all too well that if you have no high voltage it might be a speaker. Both of these gems were Sonys.

If you think that's interesting you should see the ones I gave up on.

JURB

PS You ain't the only old one, I'm 45 and my boss is 58, last week I dug into the bottom of my toolbox and got out the old Magnavox tool. Remeber those ? The old 4 way.My spanner is broken off though. It was still pretty cool.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

If your client is an electrician and he is in the US he should know that code requires the cable line to be grounded to the power service groundfor several years now.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I suspect the cable and electrical services were installed at different times. The cable, not being changed is probably still grounded to a cold water pipe somewhere.

Basically the cable installer could'e been there ten years ago, and a new main box was installed. At that point the electricians are not the ones to ground the cable system.

Or are they ? Now there's a question, if I were an eletrcian and installed a new service entrance box along with a new ground, is it my job to transfer the CATV and telephone grounds, or is that the responsability of those respective companies ?

I actually could see situations where true blame could never be placed, this because of changing times, perhaps because of older dwellings etc.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

If the electrician observes the problem and does not report it to the client, then he has an ethical and professional deficiency. If the client does not want to pay to correct the problem or correct it himself, then it is not the electricians problem.

I would say that installing a new ground electrode would require the transfer of existing ground leads to the new electrode. I do not think that the electrician would be required to find all other systems that are not properly grounded and add the lines to correct it, but if the problem is obvious, this may be another matter. A good electrician should probably look, but a lot of electricians have no idea that cable and satellite installers are often installing systems without proper grounding, without proper training, and often without the proper licensing.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet