repair question

Hi.

Does it seem to charge the battery ? If you do open it and find sevral boards linked between one another by thin connectors, unplug them from one another and have a (very) close look for broken solders at the base of the connectors.

Reply to
sds

Hi group,

Got a question for ya. Have a Compaq Presario 730 US Laptop which quit working. When you would turn it on, be it with the battery in or the AC adaptor, the green light would come on, but you'd hear no motors turning of fans, the display remained dark - etc - not as you would get when it was working. When working, there would be what I said to be a "relay" click. At least that is what it sounded like. Maybe it was the fan motor kicking in, I don't know. But I don't hear that "click" now either. There is "nothing" other than the green light coming on. I was told it may be either the HD that died or the Mother board. Well, to me, the lack of things happening with it says "power supply" problem meaning the power isn't going to the circuits. Anyway, I had a lot of very valuable info on the HD, so I bought an IDE adaptor at a recent Computer show. I was able to retract all files, which means as I was told, the HD is still ok, otherwise I'd not have been able to do it. A computer whiz, I"m not - though I do have electronics experience.

As I said, I'm thinking it is a power distribution issue. But, IF the mother board is fried, anywhere I can get one without paying out my ass? Until then, I'm leaving my Compaq HD attached to the IDE adapter and using it for an external drive for even more memory on my new laptop. IF I can get the other one working, cool... if not, I seen one identical to it with the same symptoms sold on E-Bay a week or so ago, for some bids. Not sure what the final price was. I'll either list it the same way OR hold on to it for the time being, hoping I can find a similar laptop maybe with a cracked screen or something. Speaking of which, I must wonder, how many versions of mother board may fit this thing and it still work as it was intended. It seems Compaq made quite a few laptops which did look similar in size and so on. Yes, I looked at the Computer show for a new HD, none was to be found. Nor any dealers who sold them at their shop.

Someone told me when I said I heard no motors or fans running, that the HD may be dead - that I should hear it running. Now, with it out of the computer and sitting here on my desk, I can't see how the HD could be claimed to be dead with no motor noise. This sucker is so quiet, I have to put my fingers on it to feel it running. So, therefore, my assumption still stands, the fan, etc - seems to be getting no voltage and most likely the same with the rest of the computer including the Mother board.

Oh yeah, one more thing, just before the laptop quit (made it quit) it got a sort of hard jolt. Something fell on top of it, when the lid was down. At least I think the lid was down, not real sure. But even if it was just the display screwed up from it, I'd tend to think the rest would boot up! Motors running, etc.... I'm thinking a short circuit, part burned out or perhaps the DC jack. Though with the way the situation happend, it would see strange for it to be the "jack". I'm still looking for a bit to take the screws out. I have not got the right size. I even tried buying a computer repair kit at the show, fortunately, I had the laptop with me, and none of the bits in that kit fit - either. So, I'm still looking. Haven't been able to get to a store since. Taking it apart can't screw it up any worse than what it is, so long as I watch any ribbon cables for the display - I think.

Any ideas or help at all would be deeply appreciated. If you'd like to reply personally, here is my spam catcher address. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com .... sorry, I get more spam in my regular box from allowing the address to be given out - than I care to read.

Thanks,

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Not sure if it "actually" charges the battery or not, will have to check and see. I'll measure the voltage before charging just to get a point of reference. I'll get back to you and let you know.

I won't be able to do anything else until I get a bit to fit the screws!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

Reply to
Lou