"mains " timer conversion...

Hi all, I want to convert a mains type digital daily/weekly timer to

12v (nom.) operation.I know that the cct. inside (relay) etc operates at 28v, and normally could float at mains potential in normal use, this conversion is required for use in a boat so no mains likely to be present! if i change the relay to a 12v one, with proper protection (fusing etc) where abouts in the cct could I disconnect the "mains dropper" part and connect the battery 12v?is there a site containing ccts that use mains dropping cap/res type ccts...with thanks,
Reply to
mrphyt2

Does it either have a geared down motor to drive the on/off time select keys on a dial or a LCD display? Either of which may use an aspect of the AC supply

N Cook

you should succeed if the circuitry and relay will both function on

10.8v, which is what you can count on from lead acids. 10.8 on a 28v relay is optimistic, you may need to use a voltage doubler first.

The mains voltage reducer is almost always a series CR, plus there will be a diode and capacitor to turn the ac into dc.

Only thing to be a bit ware of is possible ground conflicts, as timer and relay might just work in series on the original box. Unlikely but possible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You are in the UK? Doesn't this device need 50 Hz for timing?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Some do, some digital ones use batteries as the sole power source for the electronics though.

Reply to
James Sweet

OP said 'Mains' unit, implying UK and AC.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have a mains powered timer in Aus (230v 50hz) which has an internal battery and keeps time without the mains so the electronics does not require 50hz. Relay operation may another thing, I have never tried to see if it would operate without the mains available.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

I assume you know there are a bunch of electronics distributors in Sydney and Melbourne who may have a 12 VDC unit you can use? Maybe even Dick Smith or Tandy?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I suppose this reply should have been directed to the OP who someone else decided actually lives in the UK.

I have been in electronics for 50 years in Sydney and in recent years Dick smith has absorbed Tandy.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

On 27 Aug 2006 01:40:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Can you see any zener diodes? My LCD, battery backed, digital timer uses one for voltage reduction.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sorry for the delay in replying...thank you for all your suggestions the timer is an LCD type (with backup lithium cell) ,the reason I am using this (on boat) is because of its programmability, i.e. multiple switching many times daily/weekly....not so sure a "simple 12v off the shelf timer would do this, possibly NASA produces this sort of thing way out of budget!..because it is battery powered and has quite low standby power requirements it would be suitable for an unattended boat (on water!).I would use it to "transmit short range" FM signals (ie battery volts ,bilge water level,intrusion,etc.)to a reciever in my car!This may sound a bit "over the top" but cant see a reason why not.....thinking about the idea of using an old prepay mobile phone as a burglar/intrusion alarm simple solenoid to press call button....hmmmm?...perhaps two calls in two minutes to signify bilge water alarm,,,three calls to indicate ..well its unending! I think I really should get stuck in to these PICS. . .these I assume would control all this? I will persevere with the digital timer effort,thank you all again for your input,sorry to so longwinded!any comments appreciated.... PS I hope I put this reply in the right place?

Reply to
kontiki