ESR reading?Good/ BAD ESR value? surface mount capacitor cause ripple wavy LCD?

I have a LCD monitor that is wavy and produces more ripple as the resolution goes up. I have just replaced 2 surface mount capacitors, their ESR ( using Dick Smith meter) readings are 88 and 97 respectively, so there must be bad . However, the monitor is still wavy after the repair.

There are couples of 16V 10uF that goes around 10-17, and according to the chart on the meter , good rating should be around 1.6

Question1: What ESR value is considered to be bad? How many times the bad one has to be larger than the good value on the meter's chart?

Question2: Is it possible that the ripple is caused by something other than the dying capacitors?

Reply to
saturnlee

Depends on the Value of capacitance as you can tell from the meter chart.

chart?

The times depends of the type of cap, there are low ESR caps and low leakage caps. Towit the higher ESR the less ripple that cap can take out compared to a low ESR. of the same value of capacitance. The Lower the ESR the better.

Good luck KC8OJU Raymond Borowiak

Reply to
ray13

Instead of trying to pass/fail a electrolytic based only on the chart it is wise to compare the readings with several new caps from your parts bin..... same value obviously. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

Reply to
427Cobraman

Also may be confused in-circuit if there are inductors nearby.

I usually consider a difference of 2:1 significant, not 10 or 20 percent. Your

10:1 is definitely bad if this was measured out of circuit.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anyth> > I have a LCD monitor that is wavy and produces more ripple as the

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I measured a new one, Panasonic FK serires 16V 10uf(Low esr), the ESR reading is 1.4, and the old one are about 10-17(the cap's brand is unknown)

The good value on the chart is 1.6.

Should i replace them if they are at least 6 times larger than the value on the chart?

To consider a cap is bad ,How many times the ESR value has to be larger than the good one ?

Reply to
saturnlee

When the ESR is too high, the circuit doesn't work :-) That is the criterion that really matters in the end.

Some circuits are more sensitive to the ESR of the capacitors than other circuits. An increase of 10 times means that it is worth replacing the cap, even though this is no absolute guarantee that it will fix your monitor. The ESR is sufficiently high that it *might* be the problem, and at least when you have replaced it, you will have ruled out that component and you can move on. Also if you don't replace it, then it might stop working soon anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Although I've said on many occasions that the Dick Smith meter gives unambiguous readings, that statement has to be tempered with a degree of experience. Interpreting ESR readings is a mixture of art and science, and if you deal with the subject a lot, you will rapidly get a " feel " for bad caps. As others have said, a lot depends on capacitor type, and where it is located in the circuit, as to whether its going to cause trouble. Surface mount electros tend to have a higher ' natural ' reading than their corresponding-value conventional types, so it's often a good plan to do a comparison with a known-good similar type.

I use a Dick Smith virtually every day, and the chart on the front is, in general, a very good guide, but it should be used as just that, not a definitive good / not good indicator for all cap types. In normal circumstances, I would consider anything giving a reading of twice or more the *expected* value, to be at least on its way, if not truly u/s. Other indicators help with the suspicion of a bad cap. These are -

Its proximity to anything that gets hot

The ripple ( or other 'AC' ) circumstances under which it normally works, and how hot this causes it to normally run

To some extent, the normal voltage that's across it, compared to its rated voltage

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That's an excellent explanation, mate! You wouldn't believe how many times I've been asked "What's a good and bad ESR reading?" as though it's a hard and fast value for a capacitor like its working voltage is. I'm going to make it into a text file and send it to people when they ask me that question. Thanks!!

Regards 'Terry'

Reply to
Bob Parker

Just a nickname I pinched from the Minder TV series....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Duh !! How could I be so dumb ... ???

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Minder...he was cool! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I always loved the whole prog, from the first episode of the first series, to the last of the last - hence my tribute to the main character Arthur Daley. Dave, the barman, always used to call him " Arfa " so Arfa.Daily is my little tribute to a great piece of British TV.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily