No Display Alpine Car radio 7863

I have an Alpine CDA7863 that has a blank display but the controlls work ok. Can anyone say whether they think the fault is the display or more likely the radio. Thanks. Orville.

Reply to
ophillips

Hi Orville...

In the midst of a similar task myself. Started a week ago, but got side-tracked by other things, will start again on Wednesday :)

Mine's a Chrysler infinity unit, made by Alpine.

So far, I found an open choke, sitting on top of the mainboard top board. (take the top cover off, you'll see it) If you should happen to be an old dog like me, it doesn't look like a choke as "we" knew them, looks more like an odd shaped resistor. Picture here, if you'd like to see what you're looking for.

This one is, info supplied by others in the group, is 1000 uH.

Additionally found at least three cold solder joints on that same top board. Hard, real hard to see, but they're there. Check with your meter, test across the connection and the lead at the top.

I still have at least one more to go; it works occasionally now, but is still intermittent.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I had an Alpine 7827 that did the same thing. It turned out to be a burnt out bulb that illuminates the display in the removeable faceplate. It wasn't too difficult to replace.

You can order replacement bulbs (and other parts) from pacparts.com.

Reply to
fomhoire

Look at the display closely in good light if you can see it the backlighting is out. Jeff

Reply to
frontline