Car radio audio input jack modification

Ive posted the following in Maxima forum with no luck. Anyone here have the answer? BTW, it is a Bose radio/CD head unit. I am thinking that if I can find the output lead of the CD player, and tap that out thru an audio jack connector, it would be ok. Don't know about impedance though, may have to match that somehow.

I'd like to modify my 2002 Max radio so I can add an audio input jack for my iPod. Does anyone have access to the radio schematic? Mine is the one with built-in 6-cd changer. Thanks.

PS: I have done electronic work and have designed and build my own computer way before home computers become a household work....anyone remember the S-bus or Altair computers?

Reply to
cmdrdata

Get yourself one of those "FM transmitter + car kit wireless car audio mp3 cd new" on eBay.

BTW, modding your car radio yourself may decrease the sensitivity of your radio.

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

Got three of these FM transmitter(Griffin, Belkin Tunecast1 and tunecast 2) , and they rae marginal, drifts in and out. I even extended the antenna on the belkin), still a pain to use.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Well, if you are bound and determined on modifying the radio's circuitry, and you don't have a schematic, you may be able to "back into" a schematic of sorts. Dissassemble the radio to the point where you can physically trace the speaker leads back to an IC, probably through an electrolytic capacitor. Get the number off the chip and use Google to find its datasheet. If it is not some kind of an audio amplifier chip, you're in the wrong place. Assuming it is the audio amp chip, the datasheet will tell you its input pins, which you can then physically trace back to find the pre-amplifier. Stuff your signal into the pre-amp input.

I am not recommending that you do this, only mentioning a way if you are determined. Some electronics knowledge is presumed, because you apparently feel capable if you had a schematic.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr