Do I need a new Fluke clamp meter?

My experience is that there are true RMS clamp meters that measure current via max/peak method and newer meters that use the in-rush method (ie, Fluke

330 series).

Accurate measurement of in-rush current has alway been possible since the advent of true RMS meters with Max feature. Fluke is now touting the triggered 100mS inrush measurement feature as the new "must-have" thing.

How much more useful than a good true RMS clamp meter with max/hold is a triggered 100mS meter? For measurement of synchronous motor currents (with and without adjustable speed drives (ASDs)), is a trigger or a fast measurement really necessary? Helpful? A waste?

What do you think?

Reply to
Bob E.

Is there something you need to do that the meter you already have is not adequate for? If what you have works, then there's no reason to upgrade.

Reply to
James Sweet

"Bob E."

**That is not " experience " -

that is pure witch doctor mentality.

** Is that " Mad Max" or " Max Headroom

- you are alluding to here ??

** Discussed here in detail, four days ago.

You going blind ??

** There are more things in heaven and on earth ...

And a TROLL by any other name smells just as putrid as this shit.

Hope Willy forgives me ....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Need" is a subjective term.

If what you want is to make a repetitive job easier, I would recommend (without personal experience) a good hand held oscilloscope such as Fluke makes. They are not cheap. With that, you need a current transformer with a load resistor called a Rogowski coil equivalent. That is the clamp-onm and sensing part of a clamp-on meter. Record the start-up current waveform. Then you have a record of the waveform you can data process to your heart's content instead of relying upon someone else's cryptic algorithm.

Bill

--
As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has merit.
Reply to

That's the "Doctor Strangelove" mentality. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Read Fluke application note 1629920 and work it out.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Could you provide a link to that document, because I can't find it.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

ent

he

.

ith

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(Stephen Leacock)

TROLL DROPPINGS

YES THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF ELECTRICITY BUT THEY ARE DIRECT AND ALTERNATING

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

ke

WTACH OUT FOR THE TROLLS AND THEIR ANAL RESPONSES

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

ent

he

.

ith

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(Stephen Leacock)

TROPLL DROPPINGS

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

"Shawn like a Sheep"

** Google the number - wanker.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

AH, so you are an expert of AC/DC . how's the swinging these days?

Reply to
Jamie

You two are a perfect pair.

Reply to
krw

At least I never get to see Proteus's posts, except as quotes. Google gets filtered out here. I pray that he'll never get a proper news service.

From Wikipedia: "Proteus is a bacterial genus within the medically important group of Enterobacteriaceae. Species most commonly associated with clinical disease are Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris and Proteus penneri. Proteus species are notorious in medical microbiological laboratories because of their rapid swarming growth on commonly used agar plates."

;-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Ok, but what does IIV mean?

Reply to
krw

That he'll never be number one. :)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Sorry, dont get it. What's the context?

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Proteus IIV", DimBulb's playmate and Jamie's alter ego.

Reply to
krw

--
Since putting smaller Roman numerals to the left of larger ones means to
subtract them from the larger, that\'s just a cutesy, dumb-ass way of

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Only works for one 'I'.