New computer scam ?

Interesting gambit:

Get rung up by a voice with a thick accent ( you can guess the origin ) claiming that my computer is generating errors and reporting them to M$soft. Offers to send a technician to help fix the errors and restore computer to "full working order". Cannot give details about which computer is generating the errors. Cannot send a transcript of the error log to me - does not know my email address. But has my name, street address and phone number - which anyone can get by looking in the phone book. Assumes my computer is running Windoze, but does not know which version. Suggests I run the error log report using eventwvr, which does show a few errors and warnings, but then I know about those, and M$soft specifically says that errors from this log are never sent to M$soft.

A good way of getting a bit of work and money ?

An even better way of getting entry to a house with a view to casing the joint ?

Maybe I'm just too suspicious.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Probably not the same "scam", but interesting just the same

kreed

Yes, sounds like a variation on the same idea.

IMHO many so-called registry cleaners are not much more than this.