Need some expert help with this rca Tru flat

So I picked up this set from a friend who described it only as "it works but the colors are weird"

I've checked the degauss circuit, any leaky caps etc etc and am coming up empty--anyone have any thoughts as to what this particular failure mode might be from? Its a 27" RCA tru flat. Of interest is that when its dark the color bands aren't as close or bright but when its light the color bands get closer together and more distinct.

thx in advance!

Reply to
stueyis

Do the bands move?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

in a fixed image the bands do not move--they do move as the picture brightness increases or decreases.

Reply to
stueyis

Odd, haven't seen one like this that I can recall. Hopefully someone will chime in with a clue as this has sparked my curiosity.

You didn't try to manually degauss it did you?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

No i tested the degaus circuit and it operated as it should. I also replaced the "tv on a chip" IC thinking maybe the color signals have been corrupted--made no difference. Trouble is I've never seen anything like this so not sure where to start.

thx for looking though!

Reply to
stueyis

If the tube has been severely magnetized the degauss circuit won't help. Was the set dropped? Maybe something inside the tube came loose.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Looks like a bent shadow mask in the CRT. Set has probably been dropped. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

It looks like it was dropped to me. The only other possibilities I can think of are the degaussing circuit, or the yoke has moved back on the neck. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

So I read "bent shadow mask" as "tube is hopelessly fubared" :P --I'll give the yoke a tug and see if its loose at all--doesn't appear to be from what I recall but worth another look I guess. Thanks for the feedback guys!

On 23 Mar 2007 07:17:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Smack the face of the CRT with the palm of your hand. If the patterns vibrate, then I'd suspect a damaged shadow mask.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar