"Initial" Track on CD Rom Disk (Physical Stop or "Seek")

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction with regards to the "initial" track position (inside) when you first insert a data CD.

Another very important question: Is there a physical "stop" that stops the head (the head moves toward the center of the CD and "hits" a physical stop) at that "initial" track position, or is this done by "seeking" that "initial" track?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

There is always a limit switch/home position the laser sled returns to to start reading. The start of the spiral track will be directly under the laser at that point. At the end of the disc there is ~2mins of 'stop code' so that when the laser finds itself here, it will know it must trigger 'stop' mode. CD writers are a little different since they can access an earlier porion of the disc for power calibration tests.

AW

Reply to
Cliff Top

Note that the "start" of the spiral track is about 1.6 um wide. The limit switch gets you in the ball park. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

My guess is the limit switch (or with the simple magnetic linear motor used, just sending it to one end and waiting until it can't possibly still be in transit) just gets you "inside" the starting track from which point you can start a search in a known direction.

Figure the eccentricity of the disk's rotation is going to be many, many track widths wide, all the real alignment is done by error signals from reading the tracks themselves, it's not mechanically anywhere near that accurate in absolute position.

I could be mistaken, but I think I've actually seen the control loops in simple players respond to an unreadable disk by doing a spindle speed search that includes going all the way down through stop and beyond, so they are spinning in the wrong direction! Could be wron about that, or it could be an artifact of a brushless motor drive circuit rather than the control loop though.

Reply to
cs_posting