Need help troubleshooting a Compaq Presario SR1365CL (ASUS K8S-LA)

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a Compaq Presario SR1365CL. The owner worked on it and somehow decided that the hard drive was at fault. I'm not sure what else was tried in order to "fix" it. Currently, PC will not boot Windows XP Home, but BIOS can be entered and changed and it does recognize the hard drive.

After numerous attempts at trying to restore the original drive (Compaq has a restore partition on it) or install Windows on a new drive, I took it to a local computer repair shop to have it checked out. The consensus was that either the motherboard or BIOS was at fault. This is an ASUS K8S-LA motherboard OEM'd for Compaq. Unfortunately, the BIOS can only be updated through Windows.

How can I prove that it is either the motherboard or the BIOS at fault? Is there any way to update the BIOS without using Windows? I've already checked Compaq's website without any success. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I also tried sourcing an original replacement motherboard, but only found an expired auction on EBay, which offered an untested one that was parted out of an old PC. Not a reliable way to go in my opinion.

Does anyone have a reliable source for either an exact original replacement motherboard or know of a specific model that can be substituted for the original without having to replace the CPU? I'm doing this as a favor for someone who inherited it from the original owner and can't really afford a new PC. If this can be done for under $100, then it would be worthwhile and allow them to get in the game.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Could be a bad hard drive.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:42:46 GMT, "Peter Bogiatzidis" put finger to keyboard and composed:

If the BIOS is allowing you to see the hard drive, then I expect it is OK. Anyway, if you really want to try a flash upgrade, then boot to a DOS floppy and run Uniflash.

It doesn't appear that your board's chipset (SiS 760 / SiS 964) is on the current Uniflash list, but you could at least try reading the BIOS chip without fear of damaging your board:

Otherwise I'd try a disc diagnostic tool such SeaTools for Seagate drives. You need to run this from a floppy diskette. Other HD manufacturers have their own tools.

Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

OnTrack Data Advisor:

IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:

Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:

Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:

Seagate SeaTools:

Download:

The above list is reproduced from this old post by Glen Ventura:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar