Need help troubleshooting this picture...

Problem: I get these multi-colored (red, blue, green) horizontal lines across the screen when I boot up. Sometimes I can get into windows, sometimes it "crashes"/resets the computer right when I get to the desktop screen. I can get into SAFE MODE and it runs fine there.

Here's what I know, and what I've tried:

  1. I know it isn't the monitor - tried a different one.
  2. I replaced the video card - still no change
  3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change.
  4. I tried another memory stick - same old lines.
  5. I removed/disconnected extra HD's, sound, nic card, etc...CD-ROMS...everything except the new video card - still no change.

All I can think of is that it's the CPU...

...or the Power Supply? No idea...Hard drives (RAID)?

Has anyone run into this problem or have a suggestion about what it might be before I throw more money at this thing.

Thanks.

Reply to
googlingaround

It sounds like a problem with the video card driver (software) to me.

Did it work previously? What changed?

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Yep...it was working...then all of a sudden I started getting the lines and the computer would go to a BLACK SCREEN while in windows.

If you think it's the DRIVERS what can I do? Keep in mind I'm getting the horizontal lines during boot up - DOS SCREEN (that's what I call it)

Reply to
googlingaround

Good point -- if the problem appears before Windows starts, it can't very well be the drivers.

Try getting a copy of memtest86 and run it for a while.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Okay...just for fun I dusted off my WIN98 CD and decided to reinstall the OS.

On install, when WIN98 setup gets to the first 0-100% bar thing, the one what says "please wait while windows checks your system", the computer stopped responding at the 100% mark. It just gets to the end and doesn't do anything else.

So...

I went with a full format for MORE fun...

Format went okay - sort of. Took two tries. The first time it just got hung up at 30%. Second time was fine though. Not sure what happened there.

Tried the WIN98 install again and it stopped at the same place - at the

100% mark.

Any ideas?

Oh, and the lines are only "sometimes" around.

Reply to
googlingaround

In reading the events that happened, this can be a combination of things. Try the mother board, CPU, and display card all at the same time. Work back from there.

--

Jerry G. ======

[...]

Jerry G.

Faulty PSUs can cause all sorts of weird problems, certainly if you have access to a spare one it would be an idea to try it.

I have seen this a few times though, you appear to be using an nVidia card, so first, go into the bios and turn of "Video bios shadowing/caching" and do the same for video memory caching if present. Turn off write combining also, if the option is there. Then reset all the memory timings to default.

If none of these improve the situation, then turn off the CPU cache - if this cures it, then try another CPU.

Don't forget to check the caps on the motherboard too, unless the replacement was "new".

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Reply to

If I've read the DeviceID right, you appear to be using a GeForce FX 5700LE, I've read a few reports of similar lines and corruption with this card.

Does your motherboard support 8x AGP? And do you have an adequate PSU? These seem to be the most common reasons...

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Reply to
Lee

Hi Lee

I don't think it's the card...

The computer was working fine for a few years...with another card...and then developed had that problem all of a sudden. I went out a purchased a new card just to see if that was the problem but it didn't help. So with or without the new card, the problem is still there.

The MB is an ASUS A7V133...

I guess my next step is to get a hold of another PSU. I've been using the same PSU for about two years and never had any problems - so I don't think it's that either. Besides, all i have connected right now are the MB, CPU, 2 HD's, 1 Vid card, and that's it...so don't think the load is excessive.

Thanks though...I'll try what you suggested to do in the BIOS.

Reply to
googlingaround

I don't recall that board having a reputation for it, but it is of the same age as other boards with capacitor problems, so it would be a good idea to check them...at least give them a simple visual check for bulging or leaking. If they are beginning to go faulty, but are not yet too bad, then it can look like PSU or CPU problems.

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Reply to
Lee

Thanks Lee...still sitting here trying to figure out a solution :)

It can't be the MB since I did swap it out for another of the same model.

"... 3. I replaced the motherboard - same problem, no change..."

I did get windows to install but I can't get past the first blank windows screen...the mouse pointer just sits there, occasionally "thinking" (hourglass pops up for a sec)...

I also disabled everything that was suggested and, other than everything running REALLY slow, I'm still having stability problems...

The "lines" come and go intermitently now...it seems that once the computer is on they don't show up much. They show up more when I power down, wait a couple seconds then power up again. But regardless of wether the lines are there or not, I'm having stability issues and I'm unable to fully get to the WIN98 desktop...

I have my eye on a few processors on ebay as my next step....either that or a PSU...I'm stumped.

Reply to
googlingaround

Yeah I spotted that ;) But you didn't say whether it was a "known working" board, and if it's a used board of the same age/type it's still quite likely for it to have cap problems...

Of course it will run slow with the CPU cache disabled, the test is to see whether the machine is more stable. The reason I try this is to see whether the CPU cache is damaged which it can be sometimes from overheating.

You choice... :) This is where it helps to have a known good spare PSU in the tool box for testing :)

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Reply to
Lee

JR North

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:38:36 -0800, JR North put finger to keyboard and composed:

The POST screen shows "None" for both Master and Slave on the Primary IDE port. A solitary HD is connected to the Secondary IDE port as Master. It appears that the OP has disconnected the primary HD for testing purposes.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yes...that's right....

I removed it.

I did try another drive and that didn't help either.

This Sunday there is a computer swap meet around here (Santa Ana, Edinger in case anyone is from the area) so I'll see if I can pickup a CPU and a PSU...then give 'em a try.

Reply to
googlingaround

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
JR North

Finally!

Update: I went to the swap meet. Bought used power supply and grabbed a handfull of used Athlon's ($5 each).

Went back home to try everything out and...zip! I was still getting the darn lines. So after trying:

  1. Video card (replaced with new one)
  2. MB - replaced with used one of ebay.
  3. Memory - swapped it out with another stick.
  4. Removed all extra hardware from system.
  5. Checked video cables.
  6. Fiddled around with the BIOS
  7. Formatted HD and reinstalled OS
  8. Tried another HD
  9. Replaced power supply.

Gosh this is embarrassing :)

  1. Replaced CPU
  2. REPLACED VIDEO CARD "AGAIN"

What I had noticed was that I only got the "lines" when I was using the DVI cables. Since I had pretty much exhausted every other possiblity, I decided to take my monitor in to have it checked out along with the new video card that I had bought. First they checked out the monitor and it worked fine. Then, when they told me that they would have to charge me $75 for a diagnostic I said no way and went ahead and bought a cheap DVI to use as a tester.

Went back home, popped it in, and sure enough the problem was solved!

So what happened: I "think" the problem had to do with the MB. For whatever reason it blew out my video card. Then, when I bought the second video card and plugged it into THAT same MB, it must have blown that one out too.

So all this time I spent trying everything else was pointless since I was working with a bad vid card.

Whew! Glad that's over...

Thanks for all the advice!

Reply to
googlingaround