OT: suspicious "official" software, part 2

I'm looking for specific answers, not trying to start a general discussion.

I've recently received update information from HP (about video drivers for my

4530s notebook), and Intel (via Microsoft), about video drivers for my ASUS mobo. The former are new drivers for the 3000-series graphics system in the CPU and the discrete AMD graphics system. The latter is a new driver for the CPU's 4000-series graphics system.

The odds are pretty good these are safe, and won't leave me with unbootable bricks. But I've had problems with "official" software over the years, one of them recently.

Does anyone have experience updating their systems with these or related drivers?

Thanks in advance.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If it ain't broke, don't poke

Reply to
N_Cook

I'd find a more active MsgBd than this one. I never install "updates" until there's been enough time for bad ones to get noticed. Just about anything has a bulletin board/forum these days. Especially ASUS and other relatively hi-end and popular stuff. The ownership loves to talk about the goodies.

Reply to
dave

Good advice. But in the case of the 4530s, it is "broke". Switching between integral and discrete graphics has never worked properly, and many, many owners have complained about it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Good suggestion. Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If it's a newish laptop, could be worth doing. However, if the machine been in the market sometime the updates could be related to something minor. Maybe something related to bad game compatability. There should be a document within the update that you can read to determine if any fixed issues are relevant. The trouble is that some auto update mechanisms (especiallly from MS) don't allow these documents to be read prior to making the update.

It is possible to make yourself a 'system restore' point, or alternatively make a restorable image of the PC OS, or a good backup of your important data before doing so. HP don't have the best record of getting drivers right first time - I suspect many come straight from the device manufacturers with minimal HP quality control.

Failing system restore, you can boot up in safe mode and remove duff drivers without much grief.

If you want much less grief, skill up on linux and ditch windows. Being unecessarily overengineered and complicated is not clever, given the basic tasks most people use their technology for.

--
Adrian C
Reply to