a couple of highside current sensors

Just woke up and these were there.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Am I allowed to use this in my product gratis?

Reply to
John S

The model is different from the two-transistor configuration. Why?

Reply to
John S

Those are just two examples. There are more.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Sure.

This is my most recent current sensor, in one leg of a class-D h-bridge amp.

It lets us get the actual current waveform.

I got lucky on the layout; the resistors actually measure 24.9 milliohms. Or maybe it was skill.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

There is a 53mV offset. Why is that?

Reply to
John S

Huh... (you're a wild man, but I'm missing something.) For the first one with the opamp. With one amp through R1 there's a 1 volt drop. Which gives 23 volts for U1 output. A 1 volt drop across R3 or 10 mA of current... that 10 mA must go through the negative rail resistor R2. ... Which then gives me 10V on your output. What did I do wrong?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Reply to
George Herold

Oops! 0.1V! I found it.... never mind. GH

Reply to
George Herold

The opamp version? That's the supply current of the opamp. Use a lower current amp, or calibrate it out.

I just used the default universalopamp2

It's an idea. It's free.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

100 mV.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I like it. Thank you!

Reply to
John S

I designed a functional but clumsy highside current sensor into an EOM driver recently, to protect a $200 distributed amplifier chip. I should have done this!

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

My goal is for a current sensor between a solar panel and a battery. It looks and simulates as I wish.

Reply to
John S

Zetex IIRC used to make a high-side current-sense IC; basically a Wilson CM on a chip. It worked good and was cheaper than a quad transistor array.

EOL-ed, naturally

Reply to
bitrex

The differential ADC on an AVR can work about a volt over the processor's supply rail which comes in handy for low-voltage applications sometimes

Reply to
bitrex

If you're going to brag, at least do it in a hand stand with a friend:

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

Which non-ideal op amp models are suitable, do you think?

RL

Reply to
legg

Interesting use of those 2N3904s.

We use two channels of high side current sense.... One for battery side and one for PV input which works up to about 300V and down to around 10V Bidirectional and up to a bit more than 100A max.

Basically an op amp with some bias and feeding a current source to feed the low side A/D converter. Like some previous HS current source tech. We just needed higher voltage so had to build our own.

Current sensing can be quite a painful thing to do well.

Reply to
boB