MPE mailboxes

Because of the current worm storm, which appears to attack mailboxes that have posted to news groups, the sfp mailbox is temporarily suspended, but you can mail to Stephen instead.

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

SpamAssassin plus procmail filter to /dev/null any mail with executable attachment have improved the quality of my inbox life immensely...

-- // richard

Richard F. Man

Since Firday 19 Sept early morning , I have >50 messages/hr. It's been mopping with the tap open! I let POPmonitor delete everything above a certain size on the mail server, regardles who sends it. Checking for attachements takes to long with the current Tsunami of crap.

If it's really true what Stephen says, being attacked because I posted on news groups, I'll have to set up a special mailbox.

My request to PC/Windows users: Could you please turn your computers off for a few days :0)

.. and PLEASE never ever open those attachements again. As a Mac user I'm immune, as long as it lasts, for your virusses, but not for the spam you unvoluntarely create.

regards

-Roelf

Reply to
Roelf Toxopeus

Only our accounts which have posted to news groups are affected, and this one was attacked very quickly.

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

Me too. I have spoofed my return address, but evidently the worm is smarter than that. I have received over 5000 since our power went off Thursday night (Hurricane Isabel).

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

executable

The problem is in the full header of the message, not in the body where you mangle your address. If I look at the header, I quite clearly see

From: (not posted to spare you more...)

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

The From: header of your message has your valid e-mail address for all the worm sending programs to read. The email address on your signature is probably ignored. Comcast.net prevents a lot of spam from reaching me, but I get messages saying something I sent could not be delivered. So I am not only getting spam and worms sent to me, but also infected computers are sending them out with my name on them. I get many bogus messages supposedly from Microsoft about security patches, but only one out of hundreds has an infecting executable attachment, so at least some of the problem is being dealt with. Unfortunately the many messages that there is a problem are also a problem. I am paranoid enough to only use a Mac to read e-mail.

-- Michael Coughlin snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Cambridge, MA usa

Reply to
m-coughlin

I simply decided to have a free yahoo acount I use to post to newsgroups. Since I made this, SPAM is nearly 0 on my regular accounts.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

I love it how SpamAssassin correctly identified e-mail from my mother as s--- I mean incorrectly identified e-mail from mother as spam. ;)

Reply to
Mr. Foster

I whipped this thing up in a couple of minutes. It's Perl, not Forth (my apologies for that) but perhaps somebody can show me how to do this just as easily in Forth:

#!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

# Perl script to automatically delete mail within a certain # size range. This was specifically create to whack the # megabytes of Swen viruses that I've been getting lately. # # written on 19 September 2003 by Ed Beroset # # donated to the public domain by the author

use Mail::POP3Client;

# substitute your actual values for the bogus ones below $pop = new Mail::POP3Client( USER => "myname", PASSWORD => "mypassword", HOST => "pop.mymailserver.com" );

for ( $i = 1; $i < $pop->Count(); $i++) { ($msgnum, $msgsize) = split('\s+', $pop->List($i) ); if (($msgsize > 146000) && ($msgsize < 168000)) { $pop->Delete($i); print "X "; } else { print " "; } print "$msgnum\t$msgsize\n"; }

$pop->Close();

Until I created a more permanent solution, I had this set up as a cron job and it averaged about 30 per hour. I hereby cheerfully donate it to the public domain in the hope that it might in some small way assist in eradicating the stupid thing.

That's undoubtedly effective, but I refuse to be forced into doing that by either spammers or virus-kiddies. It just takes a little creative programming on occasion. :-)

Same here on my Linux box.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset