Modding a range hood fan

We have a Nutone range hood and its fan is incredibly loud (2.3A, rated at 8 sonnes). Rather than replace the entire unit we'd like to simply replace the three position fan toggle switch with a rotary switch or dial, that will hopefully allow us to run the fan at lower speeds when tons of airflow isn't necessary.

If anyone has done this project before and can recommend a specific switch we'd appreciate it. We're looking for one that will fit cleanly in the existing rectangular toggle switch socket (it's about

1 1/8" x 1/2".

Thanks, John

Reply to
John

easily done with "special" fan motor speed controls.... usually found near the cheap light dimmers in most electrical departments.... but be very careful that you do not stall the motor with too slow of a speed.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Daniel, thanks for the reply. The existing fan and switch have three wires, does that mean the fan itself is limited to two speeds? Do they make speed controls that convert this to a rheostat-type switch?

Reply to
John

Use the high speed wire and the common. The low speed wire just adds extra inductance in series - tape it up. A decent solid state fan speed control will have a preset to set the lowest speed.

NSM