Three speed fan

If this is a small fan, it is a lot cruder than that. The one on my range hood is continuously variable by means of a potentiometer. I know of somebody who has a ceiling fan hooked up to a circuit with a light dimmer. The light dimmer will vary the speed. Yes, I told them they shouldn't do that.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I'm guessing: Do these work by having a two pole and four pole arrangement? Switch in thw two pole and get 3600- rpm, switch to four pole and get 1800- rpm, switch in both for six poles and get 1200- rpm. The geometry migh be somewhat screwed up in 4- and 6- pole configuration but those are working at pretty low power.

I ask because my neighbour has one of these that only works on high speed. I suspect the switch but before we commit surgery on it, I'd like to understand how the thing is suposed to work. TIA

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards