minidisc player shows track but won't play tracks

lay

wer

ack

of

on

did that, hoping it would make a difference, but got the same result. Thanks for the suggestion. willy

Reply to
willywainwright

My going rate for this sort of stuff is around 22 UKP ( $35 ) an hour. It's not really a true reflection of the complexity / fiddly nature of the work, but it's about the most that these jobs will stand. Any more than an hour plus parts, effectively writes them off.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

snipped-for-privacy@a21g2000prj.googlegroups.com...

Most of the time unless the customer is willing to pay it's just not worth it to repair these things. I've had a couple apart and they are complex and difficult to work on because of the size. Those that I have repaired I had to use my 20x stereo magnifier visor and hold my face about 4 inches from the piece while working on it.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

Yep. Pretty much par for the course. I would guess it's probably been a couple of years now since I last worked on one. MP3 players killed them, really. In actual fact, I think that I would have to think hard before really getting into one these days. It was ok when I was doing them on a virtually daily basis. You get so used to them that you can pull them down with your eyes shut. My eyes are nothing like as good now as they were a couple of years back, so that wouldn't help either. I also have a stereo headband magnifier, and I find that I am using it more and more for 'standard' sized electronics, let alone surface mount stuff. Oh to be young again, eh Meat ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Minidisc is still used extensively in touring theatre, preferred by many companies over cd and laptop for sound cues.

I haven't repaired a huge amount, but IMO Sony players seem to suffer from either contaminated switches on the mech[1], or the tiny 'levers' on the mechanisms which engage the switches.

I`ve seen a few with mangled heads, no doubt due to 'finger trouble'

[1] If I recall correctly, the contamination comes from the flexible mounts of the mechanism, and can sometimes be seen as a brown 'stain' on the metal work.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

When I first started out and for maybe 25 years after I was pretty proud not to need glasses for reading or working. Evermore so since all my siblings wore glasses and contacts from a very early age. Now I need a

350 diopter pair to work close up and 150 just for general reading. Really intricate things require the visor. I can say though that I've repaired some bad solder joints on PC boards by inspecting them using the visor and a bright light. Normally with even 20-20 vision some of these you aren't able to spot unmagnified. So I've been using the visor long before my need for reading glasses.