minidisc player shows track but won't play tracks

hello, I have a number of sony minidisc players that suddenly won't play the track for no apparent reason. I've tried batteries and plug in power with no difference. Powers up fine, shows spinning icon in window, track number shows but I can't get the units to play the disc. I've tried it in all positions, even upside down and sideways but still no playing of disc any ideas? willy

Reply to
willywainwright

How many different players? Laid the discs near a powerful louspeaker? Tried on someone elses player ?

Reply to
N_Cook

More than one? That suggests a bad disk, not a bad player.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

So let me see if I understand you. You have multiple players that won't play one track on one disc? Or you have one disc that won't play any tracks on multiple players? Or you have multiple discs that won't play on multiple players? Which is it?

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

1) Try lens cleaner disc. 2) Now toss the whole shebang in the garbage 3) Get a free cell phone, even they'll come with a MP3 player.

Minidisc is over. It's dead, finished, kaput. And I'm speaking as someone who bought a MZ-1 when they first came out.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I own a Sharp S60 and a Sony NetMD. Both record wonderfully with a stereo condenser mic, the Sony will load songs from a PC in about 4 minutes. Also has an FM tuner. Minidisc isn't dead for me. I also own 32 gig Ipod Touch. I use all three frequently.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

Which reminds me. Presumably you got on ok dismantling the Touch a few weeks ago ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I use a Sharp MD R60 once a month recording and transcribing public talks and more testingly Q&A from the audience in acoustically about the worst possible environment. Rarely do I miss a word if I do it is some obscure technical term. Two basic electret mikes on fine multistrand cable and rubber sleeving plugged directly into the recorder and acoustically decoubled body by use of a "Benny" between it and the table. I'm always amazed by the clarity of sound.

Cafe scientific talks

past talks,

N_Cook

It was a video IPod a relative gave me before I bought the Touch. Those had a common problem and they had a name for it "ink spot". The backlight is a couple leds on the bottoms of a plastic diffuser that spreads the light out evenly behind the LCD. I'm guessing it was dropped because the former owner won't admit to it. It came apart nicely once I looked up where the latches were, a thin pocket knife blade did nicely. You can buy the replacement cheap enough along with the plastic disassembly tool. I decided to buy the Touch instead of repairing the video IPod and reassembled it. It works fine audio wise and the display issue is only a nuisance not interfering at all with selecting songs and other menu items.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

The feature on the MD-SR60 I like the most is the sync mode for recording. This allows the SR60 to start and stop recording automatically by sensing audio. It's very useful for surveillance or recording from my police and public service scanner. No dead spaces in between activity. I used it a couple weeks ago to record the local airport air traffic control inbound traffic frequency and caught an inbound flight having difficulty verifying the locked position of it's nose gear. One thing it lack though is the extended modes of the Sony as it use a couple extra MDLP modes to increase record/playback times the Sharp can't handle. The modes are fairly useless for music but for voice recording they are more than sufficient. This is the MZ-NF610 Type-s Net Med TV/Weather/FM/ AM model. Advantages over the Sharp is it can load discs at several times normal speed using a USB cable. It also has some good playback EQ modes for better bass and treble. And the wired remote has an LCD screen on it. I use it to listen to Sirius radio throughout the house when I'm doing chores. I recently added an indoor Sirius receiver because sometimes in bad weather the signal from my Sirius radio in the SUV is interrupted. That's understandable since the signal has to pass through a garage roof to get to the receiver.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

I have three players that won't play any disc. I also have two others that work fine. didn't do anything to the players that won't play, that I know of. haven't dropped them or anything. Can't figure out why they all of a sudden won't play and if there's anything I can do about it. willy

Reply to
willywainwright

I have disc's that play fine on two of my players but no disc's at all will play on these three. in other words, it's not the discs it seems to be the players. can't figure out if there's anything I can do.

Reply to
willywainwright

maybe a lens cleaner disc would work. wonder if I can find one. I'll give it a try. Garbage is full of my cassette tapes and players and all my 8-track tapes. Willy

Reply to
willywainwright

I doubt if it's coincidence. Maybe a bad disc damaged the three. Do the 'bad' players read the TOC? Can you try to add names to the tracks to see if that gets written to the TOC? Something just doesn't add up.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to
Meat Plow

Try one with an external powersource.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

"willywainwright" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

Never ever use 'cleaner' discs - not that I recall ever seeing one for a mindisc anyway. They invariably never do anything to help, and in the case of DVDs, I've seen them cause expensive damage where the little 'brush' hairs embedded in the disc, have caught in the lens suspension, and mangled it as the disc has then rotated. I used to do a lot of work on Sony MD players, when a guy that I did work for was a regional service centre. For the most part, failure to play discs is down to a worn out laser. Sometimes, you can get around that for a while, by resetting the laser parameters via built in diagnostic software, but it is a complex and tricky procedure to do. Another thing to check is that when the disc is loaded, it is free to rotate. I had many examples where the turntable had been pushed down on the motor shaft, until it jammed the motor. Another very common problem was 'crap in the works'. The sled drive comprises gears with *very* fine teeth. The slightest bit of contamination in them, is enough to stop the gears from turning. The contamination in question, often seemed to be very fine sand, but I guess that it could have been 'pocket grit'. Just one grain in one of the gear teeth, will jam the mech and stop the laser from homing, which will result in the disc failing to spin up, and the TOC not being read. Finally, I suppose you do actually see the display come up and hear the disc loading as though it's about to do everything normally ? I have had cases where the door-closed sense switch has caused problems. A word of warning though. You need to have the patience of a saint to work on these things, and some very fine tools, including a quality set of Philips jeweler's screwdrivers, and pointed tweezers. Magnetize the screwdriver first. The tiny little screws are no bigger than an ant, and easily lost. Work on a large sheet of paper, and use a strong light, and a magnifying glass. And you need to be able to hold your breath pretty well, also ... d :-|

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

disc.

mangled

Sometimes,

the

teeth.

from

of

will

Finally,

the

You

very

paper,

For the last I use felt laid in a 2 inch high sided tray. Felt stops bouncing and rolling to a certain extent and walls trap any that have idea of escaping.

Reply to
N_Cook

I have three players that won't play any disc. I also have two others that work fine. didn't do anything to the players that won't play, that I know of. haven't dropped them or anything. Can't figure out why they all of a sudden won't play and if there's anything I can do about it. willy

+++++++

Have you been using system or diagnostic discs on the non-workers?

Reply to
N_Cook

c.

ed

es,

he

h.

rom

,

of

ill

y,

ng

he

ou

ry

r,

Thank you Arfa, great reply, full of good info. Don't know that I will attempt the fix but at least I want to be sure it's not something I've overlooked,like the hold switch set to on. In this case I guess these things just wear out after awhile. Would you, or anyone, know of a good repair shop to send these units to? And also, would you be able to tell me about how much you guys used to charge for repairs. Hourly? just curious. Willy

Reply to
willywainwright

.

Don't know what those are for minidisc players. have you seen them for sale somewhere? appreciate your help, thank you. Willy

Reply to
willywainwright