CD player skips and wont play some tracks

I have a portable CD player in the garage. Its not worth even trying to fix it, but I'm just curious why it plays a music CD for awhile, but suddenly it will skip, then it just quits playing. It's not the CD, it does it on any CD I use, and they always do it on the same songs. I know it's the player. I know the basics how a CD player works, but not the specifics. What would cause this? My guess is a misalignment of the laser, but then I'd think that it would be a problem across the whole CD disk ?????

I'll find another cheap Cd player at Goodwill for $5, but I'm just curious why it does this.

Thanks

LM

Reply to
letterman

One cause of skipping is a decline in laser output. It's possible that, as the unit warms up, the laser output drops... and so on.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If it always does it at roughly the same time into the CD it's likely a mechanical problem with the tracking. Cracked pinion on the sled drive mechanism is common on some models, or hardened lubricant and dust on the sled. Lots of possibilities.

James

Reply to
James

Have you tried a cleaner. I would think dust on the laser lens would be a regular problem. These are usually plastic, so if you scratch it, pitch it.

Reply to
JB

The first thing to do is to clean the lens, but not with a lens cleaner, they sometimes help but are often worse than useless and just spread the dirt around, if not actually damaging the lens. If you are just marginally more than curious then, it takes 5 minutes but you have to open up the player.

But this sounds more like a mechanical problem, possibly as simple as the need for cleaning and lubrication.

See the CD player repair guide at the Web sites below.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: