Material Taken from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ

Does anyone have the book: Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz? Someone emailed me noting that most of the safety guidelines in the book seem to be virtually identical to what's in the S.E.R FAQ safety document at:

.

Most of these safety guidelines are well known so it's possible that we both got at least some of the ideas from another source, but the specific phrasing and details are unique to the S.E.R FAQ and match almost or exactly word-for-word. So, it is almost certain that's where they originated and somehow made it into the book. Two examples are the ones starting: "If you need to probe....", and "The use of a GFCI....".

I'm not going to worry about it if the author only copied some of the safety guidelines, but if other portions of the book are word for word from the FAQs, I would contact the publisher.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

You can find excerpts from the book at: (watch for line wrap!)

If you have a BitTorrent client, Google shows a PDF torrent of the book at:

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Does anyone have the book: Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz? Someone emailed me noting that most of the safety guidelines in the book seem to be virtually identical to what's in the S.E.R FAQ safety document at:

.

Most of these safety guidelines are well known so it's possible that we both got at least some of the ideas from another source, but the specific phrasing and details are unique to the S.E.R FAQ and match almost or exactly word-for-word. So, it is almost certain that's where they originated and somehow made it into the book. Two examples are the ones starting: "If you need to probe....", and "The use of a GFCI....".

I'm not going to worry about it if the author only copied some of the safety guidelines, but if other portions of the book are word for word from the FAQs, I would contact the publisher.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

A PDF of that book is in alt.binaries.e-book.technical. Uploaded

7/11/2007 and is still there on Newsguy and Giganews.
--
Bill Freeman
Reply to