Zenith TV fried from overvoltage A32B41W

Hello everyone,

I have a Zenith 32" Model# A32B41W TV that fried from higher input voltage; someone miswired a receptical and instead of 120 volts the TV received 240V!!! Lots of smoke filled the living room when the power was restored.

I took the TV set apart and found two visible blown components...

  1. The line fuse (Alot good this thing did to protect the circuit board!)

  1. 470uF 200V Electrolytic capacitor "was bloated" (located next to the transformer, this is what smoked)

So I changed those two out with identical replacements...still doesn't turn on. I like to try to fix this TV myself...cheap; there are no nearby repair shops in my town anyways. Can someone with more experience please tell me what else to look for and test or replace? What else in the power supply section would burn up from this incident?

Thank you for any help possible; Johnson

--
EJohnson
Reply to

Assuming you didn't blow out the new fuse. You have to look for blown copper foil paths on the circuit board. Check all the glass and epoxy(black case) diodes.Check the value of any resistors that are larger than a pencil eraser. There are resistors that act as fuses they usually are low ohmic value under 5 ohms for sure and most likely factional ohm. I suspect it is a factional ohm resistor that took a hit and doesn't show a sign of being blown. You have to use an ohm meter to measure them, if they check ok take one lead out and test them to be

100% sure they are good. Resistors of any size less than one ohm should be checked in and around the supply.

Later KC8OJU Raymond Borowiak

Reply to
ray13

I am not familiar with this chassis...linear or switching supply?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Hello; It is a switching power supply. Board# 9-2003 Date manu. 1998

I checked the diodes and resistors around the PS section and all appear to be fine.

I remember after I changed the 470uF cap and plugged the TV back in; I saw a faint puff of smoke rise from somewhere on the board, maybe it was electrolytic cap juice left on board from the old cap...anything else that would be affected? Could it be the Power Regulator IC (STR53041 "5 pin IC") or the HOT (1167-01)? Thanks; Johnson

--
EJohnson
Reply to

A schematic for this board would be useful...where can I get one? Johnson

--
EJohnson
Reply to

Considering that the set was accidentally plugged into a miswired outlet and received much more voltage than it should have, I'd say quite a bit of the power supply was damaged or destroyed. I read another post in answer to yours that mentioned small resistors that are supposed to act as fuses; however, when a TV gets hit with double the normal line voltage, no amount of fusing will prevent serious damage. I'd get an estimate on repairs first, though. If it is $200 or more, I'd put the money into a new set. This may be a good time to look into a new plasma or LCD flat panel, unless your set is relatively new. I don't know if your warranty, if still in force, would cover something like this. If you were not aware that the outlet you plugged the set into was miswired (why wasn't a 240-volt receptacle installed rather than a standard 120-volt one?) you may have a valid claim.

Good luck.

Jeff, WB8NHV (email addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

It isn't under warranty anymore and the receptical it was plugged into used to be 120V but someone screwed up the wiring at a junction box (mixed the neutral with another hot) during a breaker box upgrade.

I plan to rebuild the power supply section; I just need a schematic (free) to know the resistor and cap values. Johnson

--
EJohnson
Reply to

Who is responsible for the miswiring? You--tough luck. A professional--luck! It's their responsibility to fix the thing. At any rate, it appears you're going to need a pro to fix it. Call it quits now.

David, on the Illinois prairie.

Reply to
dharrisfc