Making my own coax cables

Good article! Thanks for the link.

I believe so. It has a copper center conductor (probably just shy of

1mm), foam dielectric is aprox 4mm outer diameter, then aluminum foil over that, and then exactly 4 (count 'em) tiny strands of wire over the aluminum, and then the rubber outer jacket. Total outer diameter of cable is aprox 6mm.

One thing that makes me think it is poor quality cable is the fact that in several places the strands have poked through the outer jacket and I have had to wrap electrical tape around the cable in those spots. Though overall, the cable is not brittle and still has good flexiblity and feels "new".

Full designation on cable is "BELDEN + 8228 DUOFOIL 82 CHANNEL COLOR COAX 75 OHM"

I actually have never used this cable for anything. It was just some extra cable that some cable TV installer left at our house like 20 years ago and I have had ever since. I'd like to use some of it to make some custom-length cables. But I'm going to need to get a proper stripper and the right F connectors to fit this cable.

I actually don't have cable TV. I use a Sony "rabbit ears" antenna and get free over-the-air TV and radio that way. I distribute the signal from the rabbit ears to my VCRs and receiver using coax. Does the same advice apply?

Reply to
toronado455

and

You can use the duo-foil coax - it was actually an OK quality low-loss cable.

For your application the cheap type F connectors are probably OK; you could even use a pair of pliers to make the crimp connection.

Reply to
Travis Jordan