Coax to 20 gauge?

I'm doing a little "garage experimenting" and would appreciate some insight wiring. Is it possible to convert a coax cable to a small wire, say 20 gauge wire, then back to coax? It would be for a very short length--inches not feet. I'm sure that it's physically possible, but what kind of interference or other problems should I expect?

Thanks much!

Reply to
bb

Depends on what's going through it. Anything above, say, 100MHz is probably going to radiate like nuts. You can minimize loss by running the wires closely spaced (twisted together works well). Remember to bond the shield with the shield and core wire to core...

Tim

Tim Williams

Thanks, Tim. It will be a tv cable signal, but I don't know the frequency. So a simple bonding, and twist the wires, and presto?

Tim Williams wrote:

Reply to
bb

Thus spake bb:

<

An example of a commercial product that accepts 50-ohm video input and converts it to 100-ohm for conductance across Cat-5 twisted-pair cable. 2 are required, one at each end of the Cat-5 cable.

I'm sure that inside these adapters they're using just a tiny toroidal transformer for converting these impedances. If you find a small impedance-matching transformer, that would probably do it for you.

Good luck,

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

Sure. Best to put a connector on the coax; a mating connector on a diecast metal box; the 20 gauge wire; another connector on the box; finally a connector on the coax.

The problems will depend on circumstances which you have not identified, but the above will attenuate the signal in any case.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It could cause all kinds of problems. Some chanels could be sucked out completly, really weakened , or it may go unnoticed all together. It could also let in other interfering singnals in due to the break in the outer shield.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery