Magnavox 20MS334R01

I have a magnavox TV model 20MS334R01 that I cannot get any picture on. We had a lightning storm last night. The TV does come on and has sound. Sometimes the picture will show distorted for just a split second and then go black. Video inputs will not work either. I suspect the tuner. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
ET

Uh, why would you suspect the tuner if the video inputs don't work either?

Reply to
Dave

My son had his XBOX on when the storm came thru. It stopped working as well. So if its not the tuner, where should I look?

Reply to
ET

In the yellow pages under "Electronic Repair".

Could be lots of things. The fact that the unit powers up and has sound is a VERY good sign. The fact that neither tuner nor aux inputs work rules out the tuner and switching circuitry... I assume that the sound works on all inputs and is selectable.

Do the on-screen menus/displays work? I.e. channel number, input source, etc.?

The fact that a picture appears for a split second would seem to rule out the HOT. I'd guess something in the HV section / flyback. Anything obviously burnt (or exploded) on the PCB?

Funny that a lightning strike would make it all the way through the PS....

Dave S.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, the sound works on all inputs.

On screen menus work, channel number, input source.

Nothing is obviously burnt or damnaged. Circuit Board looks like new.

And I cannot locate a service manual anywhere.

And I agree that it is strange that a lightning strike would not blow diodes and fuses in the power supply!

Eddie

Reply to
ET

Start by trouble-shooting the power supply in each unit to make sure that all its output voltages are in spec. You will most likely need the service manuals, and a DVM to start with. Also, you will need a sound knowledge of electronics, and have service experience. I would suggest sending the units out for an estimate. This way, if you decide to service these units, they will be serviced properly and safely.

--

JANA _____

My son had his XBOX on when the storm came thru. It stopped working as well. So if its not the tuner, where should I look?

Reply to
JANA