Lubuntu Linux - moving files only half works.

Downloading from FTP with Filezilla; The HDD got full so I transferred as many files as possible to 3x 32Gb USB sticks - The sticks are showing that they now contain around 29.5Gb, but the free space on the HDD is only showing about 5Gb - I did try emptying the trash folder, but no result there.

It seemed to work OK till the HDD got full, since the problem started; I've been careful to make sure I'm paying attention when I click "move" and not "copy", and I double checked that the top bar says "moving".

This looks a lot like a bug in Lubuntu!

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I think just about everything in Linux only half works.

Reply to
Phoena Greene

Probably if the transfer fails, it doesn't remove the files from the source. It wants to make SURE the files on the stick are safe before removing the old ones. That makes good sense!

Well, while there have been a few issues over the years, I've been using some version of Linux as my main desktop for almost 20 years! I also have a number of devices that are run by PCs (or Beagle Bones) running Linux. My family is almost exclusively running Linux for general email, web browsing, writing papers for school, etc.

Works for me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson prodded the keyboard with:

I've been running Linux since my wife bought me a book with Yggdrasil Linux bound into it, about 1994/5. In those days you had to compile everything yourself. Fun times...

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

half a day to compile the kernel :D and then you found out that you forgot to include a driver, so it didn't bo ot.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Do not use a long extension wire for the USB.

mark

Reply to
makolber

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com prodded the keyboard with:

I don't recall having that problem ! I do remember struggling to find the code for some driver or other, and then having to mod code because some address was different or wrong. Off by one was a popular mistake. You soon became very familiar with PC hardware in those days.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Near as I can tell; its a file size issue - and probably the NTFS USB stick causing the mischief.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Must've been before I first tried Linux.

Despite being a late convert from M$ command line - I found Linux command line to be too much PITA.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

WTF?!!!

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

did you unmount the usb stick manually as root, or sync, so the stuff got actually written out?

They had an issue once when the files got damaged when you just unplugged the stick. It was related to how their drive cache works. Maybe no one ever figured out how to fix it. They do tend to add layers of script and candy to obfuscate those issues.

check dmesg for kernel warnings/errors (not the file, type dmesg on the bash prompt)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

It shouldn't matter anymore should it? What if the USB extension is over 100'? Do you need extra resistance for the USB load side pins?

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Only need one more for a hat-trick..................................................

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

That would exceed the length specification for USB cables, which is five meters. They do sell longer cables with a 'repeater', but there are still limits.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm still wondering why anyone would use an extension cable to plug a USB stick into a computer.

Maybe an old tower case with no front sockets and stashed under the desk......................................

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Or a wifi adapter, so having it on a cable means you can orient it for best operation.

I've found a bunch of Logitech USB extension cords that have a little stand at the remote end, so it can sit on your desktop. Certainly useful if you don't have USB outlets on the front of your computer, or even if the computer is below the desk.

The TP-Link USB wifi adapter I just bought came with an extension cord, but no little plastic thing to sit on the desk.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

How did Wi-Fi adapters find their way in?

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

Because it's a "USB stick".

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

There are a myriad of devices that can go into USB ports, many just for recharging only.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Maybe a webcam used as a security camera, or any of hundreds of other USB devices. That's why it's called the 'Universal Serial Bus'. This computer came with eight USB ports, then I added a card with another four to eliminate an external hub.

I also have a long USB to USB cable made to transfer files from one PC to another. It replaced the old Laplink cable that used the Parallel ports.

Here is a handy program that helps you identify registered USB devices that have been connected to your computer

32 bit:
64 bit:
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.