Laptop LCD is only half lit after CCFL repair...

Hi all:

I have an T43 Thinkpad whose LCD had been slowing dying (took on a pinkish hue until eventually the screen went dim)--I had diagnosed this as a problem with either the backlight or the inverter.

So, I replaced the CCFL (yes, I realize replacing the inverter would have been an easier way to find out which part actually died, but, oh well). My LCD now has a band of brightness on the bottom of the screen...and only on the bottom. The rest of the screen is still quite dark. My question is: does this mean I replaced the CCFL incorrectly? or is the inverter true root of the problem?

Reply to
Shnuck

It means that the reflector, that's usually attached to the CCFL lamp, is the wrong curvature. The lamp has to be at the focus of the reflector or you will get uneven lighting. However, if only a small band is illuminated at the bottom of the screen, my guess(tm) is that you simply forgot to install the reflector. Try again.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It's possible both were bad. Can you tell if the CCFL tube is lit brightly? The lamp may have been positioned wrong so that something is blocking the light.

Reply to
James Sweet