Looking for cable, 2 coax with overall 3rd shield

What's that thin little coax called RG-179, or such? about the size of

18Awg wire, put two together [they have insulation on the outside] using tacky glue, then add a sleeve of cheap metal brading. Often made such 'custom' cables, work fine. You're not going into Production, right? Just for your own needs.
Reply to
RobertMacy

I would like to build about 5 cables for now. I might just try some microphone cable, then check to see if I can induce noise or generate any piezo voltage. Still in the market for the right cable though. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Ok, see if I can generate a not unreasonable amount of piezo electricity. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

All you have to do is attach the cable to a mic input, then strike the cable against the edge of a table. Or hit it with a hammer. Almost any zetz will do.

The first time I heard this was from the cables on a moving-coil transformer. I was really surprised. I knew of piezoelectricity, but didn't know that cable dielectrics could generate it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I guess the point is some cable generates less piezoelectricity than others. I would want less. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Don't know about piezo, but tribo-electric effect is the bane of cable manufacturers.

Reply to
RobertMacy

this

I wouldn't think so. Most twinax i have dealt with did not have shields on the inner conductors. Check vendors for twinax structure. This would be a specialty instrument cable.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I called Belden, I was told, they don't make this type of cable. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I searched for the same thing a few years back to make my own custom RCA au dio connectors for my Car system when I was Competing, The best thing I cou ld find was high grade Microphone wire, back then it was cheap but this was 10 or more years ago. They make a number of styles and types, wire gauges jacket thickness. Go to a good Music store or Electronics shop like a Recla mation center or similar store to get the best deal. You won't have the cho ices but you will pay much less than a Music Center.

Reply to
zinda