Looking for cable, 2 coax with overall 3rd shield

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

Reply to
RobertMacy

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

VGA monitor cable?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm not aware of what is inside, does this super VGA type look right?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

dave

TWIN CORE COAX CABLE ?

Reply to
RobertMacy

AS Phil would say, Are we supposed to guess what you need, give the details. expletives deleted

OK here is what I want to duplicate. Two separate coax with a third braid over both of those. Thanks, Mikek PS. Not my excellent ascii artwork. Hope the font works! - - - | | | | - | | | | Signal(+) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Inner Shield | | | +-------------------------------------------------#----+ | | | | | Probe/ | | | | | Sensor | | | | | Meter | | Inner Shield | | | +-------------------------------------------------#----# | | | | | | | | | | | Signal(-) | | | | | | | | | | | | | | - | | | | - | | | | | | | Outer braid & GND | |

Reply to
amdx

The Lady from Philadelphia sez...

If the required length of cable is not great, why not envelope two coax cables in a length of shielding?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

This is low budget. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

5 ft is the length, for know I hope to find the proper cable I need. Thanks, Mikek
Reply to
amdx

My employer would be willing to manufacture any composite type of cable with an overall braid if he'd like :)

dual RG-174 with overall braid jacket comes to mind.

Some times called shotgun cable.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a cable off a bad monitor?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'll take a look through my junque, I may have one I can tear into. Yes, I'm trying to put a cable together, that will work on the Boonton. Two coax, small and flexible is the ideal. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

So it's really two pieces of thin coax in a single covering.

I don't know. I was checking garage sales one day in the summer, and passed yard that had a nifty monitor cable lying there all by itself, just discarded. It had BNC connectors on both ends, at least three. So I assume it had something like RG174 between the connectors, and then some wrapper around the individual pieces, but I could be wrong. A nice blue. I haven't dug any deeper, but was thinking if my assumption is right, the I could strip out the connectors and small cables, and have a more useful to me set of cables.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Video uses 75 ohm cable. RG/174 is 50 ohm. It can cause a lot of errors at higher frequencies.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I opened up the cable I have and it is aluminum shield, won't work for my purpose. Plus two many wires. I'm looking at this audio cable with XLR connectors.

I suspect this is a twisted pair inside a shield, pins 1, 2, and 3 and then a shield around everything that connects to the housing of the connector.

It says, "These cables... because of their combination of heavy duty construction as well as their inner and outer protective RF shielding of heavy duty copper conductors.

So it has two shields, but is each conductor shielded?

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low voltages, as low as 1mV. I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

An aluminum foil shield can be quieter than braided, tinned copper when the cable is flexed. The drain wire allows you to connect it to the connector, and probe body as needed. Not all VGA cable is foil shielded, but the more flexible is likely to be made that way since you need multiple layers of braid to achieve the same level of shielding. Some cable has enough free space that you could pull out the unwanted conductors. S-video cable might work, if you could find it with an outer shield, but VGA cable is the closest, off the shelf wire available.

All you have to do is tie any unused wires to ground at the connector end.

Belden 1277P or 1277R is just three 75 ohm miniature coax cables with a bonded foil shield, but it's about $1.06 or $1.58 per foot when you buy

1000 feet at a time.

Why would each conductor be shielded, for low impedance, balanced audio?

could make what you want, but you better have your chair bolted to the floor and a seatbelt on when you ask for a quote. I haven't dealt with them for years, but I did show them how to prove that some customer supplied microwave cable was garbage. The customer claimed it was their test equipment, but the semi rigid cables I had proved it was in spec. One of their engineers was in my computer club at the time. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Call Pacific Radio in Burbank. They are a Belden dealer and a pro cables manufacturer.

Reply to
dave

Just hoping to find what I want in a common cable :-( and I don't know audio cable.

I want cheap. Mikek

Reply to
amdx