Water detection cable

Does anyone know who manufactures those water sensor cables that are placed on the floors of datacenters? I've seen the ones that have two wires in them, although these wires appear to be more like very thin steel-looking cables of some sort. Each of those wires has sort of a cloth jacket and then the two jacketed wires are covered with a braided fiberglass-like covering. One end of this cable has a resistor connecting the two wires and the other end is simply a two wire lead connector. I've found the TraceTek TT1000 cable on the net, but those seem to be much more expensive than what I imagine the two wire cables are (could be wrong though). I've also found many companies that sell short lengths of this sort of wire, but I want to buy in bulk. I have a feeling that there are probably any number of cable manufacturing companies that make these cables and I just don't know what the name of them are.

Reply to
GlennDoten

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=water+detection+cable&aq=f&oq=

JF
Reply to
John Fields

oq=3D

Well, that doesn't help; I've been there for the past couple of days. I'm trying to find out who manufactures these cables--the actual cable manufacture--not the many companies that sell short 10' and 20' lengths. When I say "bulk" I mean ideally I'd like to find these cables on a big spool, like 1000', 2000', or whatever. Google has not been of much assistance in locating such a manufacturer, or, like I said, I'm not using the proper keyword(s) to find these cables.

Reply to
GlennDoten

John, &aq=f and &oq= are just noise and can be deleted. (hl=en means English-Only and can be left in

--but I've found they are really poor at dist>Well, that doesn't help; I've been there for the past couple of days.

Are you using the Boolean NOT operator? Are you using the GIVE-ME-WTF-I-**ASKED**-FOR syntax?

*-*-space+*-*.*-*.*-sign-in-front-of-it+similar+Stemming+minus.sign+*-*-*-*-is-essential+*-*-*-*-*-avoid+Dansk+variants#negative

Reply to
JeffM

q=3D

I'll try your ideas.

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased water detection cable in bulk (1000' or 2000' spools), and specifically who you purcahsed it from.

Reply to
GlennDoten

syntax?

from a quick google search it looks like RLE is the patent holder.

if you don't want to pay their prices perhaps you could use a paper-covered twisted pair like was common for telephone trunks.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

--
These guys sell 250 foot rolls:

http://www.hydro-tempinc.com/leakdetc.htm

And you might get some more leads from Thomas.net:

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?cov=NA&what=Detectors%3A+Water&heading=22191555&pg=3

JF
Reply to
John Fields

=3Df&oq=3D

The Hydro-Temp stuff might be something to look at, thanks. Don't know how I missed that site.

I've already scanned ThomasNet pretty closely.

I think I'm going to have to start calling some of the big cable companies for further leads.

Reply to
GlennDoten

It sounds like just two ordinary pieces of wire, but with some kind of fabric insulation, maybe with some ionic additive, such that when it gets wet, it shorts the two wires. This will cause your meter to dip, and set off your alarm. If the resistance increases (like to infinity), that indicates a wire break.

But I have no idea where you'd get cloth-insulated wire these days.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise