Light bulb power saver

Photoflood bulbs do just this, they're also rated to last a whopping 6 hours.

Efficiency and color temperature increase with filament temperature, but unfortunately lifespan decreases exponentially.

Standard incandescent is about to go away anyway.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ah, so they charge a lot more for less light. Wow, now that's MARKETING! :)

How much do they cost a Wal Mart?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

They're just neodymium glass bulbs, the concept has been around for over a century. The blue glass filters out a bit of the yellow light, it does result in a "whiter" appearance, with a penalty in lumen output. IIRC they cost about 50% more than ordinary bulbs, which is not much to begin with. The vast majority of the cost of an incandescent lamp is the electricity to run it.

Reply to
James Sweet

last

But that would greatly reduce the bulb's life.

The Reveal lamps aren't new -- daylight-balanced tungsten lamps have been around for at least 50 years.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

for

is

in

while

Why don't you just use a 130V appliance bulb?

----- The Lady from Philadelphia

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

My reasoning was that if there truly is some kind of periodic surge that is taking out the bulbs then perhaps it is of greater magnitude than 130 volts. My other thought was to put in a 230 volt light bulb, but those are a little hard to find on a local store shelf.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

It's not a surge, no way no how, not gonna kill bulbs like that. I think the guy who said vibration from the door slamming was dead on.

Have you ever seen a 230V bulb on 120V? They barely glow. You'd be better off with a candle.

Reply to
James Sweet

I was putting those in my old house before I sold it to help make things look better. I found out the light color was Ok but being dimmer defeated my purpose. I also use the CFL floodlights, entirely enclosed in an outer shell. The ones I bought were not for outside but work OK. At 32 degrees they are practically dark when first turned on but put out full brightness in about 2 minuites. Flipping on then off the outside light to look outside doesn't work with these unless you can wait around. greg

Reply to
GregS

Just found out that the daughter's mother-in-law has been on a campaign to gradually replace incandescents throughout her house with CFLs. Have to tip my hat to her for her initiative. Now with her being a frugal sort what do you think she did with those used/aged incandescent bulbs? Why of course she saved them and was using them as replacements in the outdoor fixture every time a bulb in the fixture burned out, then wondered why they were needing replaced so often. Advised her to either put a CFL in the outdoor fixture or else buy a brand new incandescent to try there. Don't you just love women?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

My initiative is being used to stock up on incandescent bulbs while they are still available. Already have a good stock, and plan to have a basement full of them by the time they are banned. We prefer the light given off by incandescents and are willing to pay extra to run them.

--
  Roger Blake
  (Subtract 10s for email.)

You'll always be able to get incandescents, the ban doesn't cover very slightly more efficient halogen lamps and those put off incandescent light.

Reply to
James Sweet

The more important point is that outdoor fixtures are exactly the place where CFLs should be used - they may be on for a large precentage of the day and the color isn't that critical. If there isn't an issue of cold temperatures, then CFLs are ideal since the savings due to increased efficiency will be significant.

Incandescents can be left in places where they aren't used that much. The difference in efficiency won't matter.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Some incandescent technology might come down the pike to produce light efficiently - isn't the sulphur lamp an incandescent lamp?

default

My Feit Electric outdoor CFLs did fine this winter in -10F weather.

--
         $109,000,000 in income! Capitalism works GREAT for Billary...
                  ...why does she want Marxism for us?

There are various technologies to improve the efficiency of incandescent, I'm sure something better will come along eventually.

The sulphur lamp has long been discontinued. It isn't incandescent anyway, it used a magnetron to excite sulphur inside a globe, it was noisy, not very scaleable, and the light apparently was greenish, though I never saw one in operation.

Reply to
James Sweet

I find it inconvenient that i have to wait for 5 minutes to get some light, when I go outside(-10 celcius). And even then I dont think that it came full on after that time. So I replaced it with a TL armament, at least that turns on after one or two seconds. And no, I dont want to leave them on all the time, thats pure waste.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Not likely. The only way (I know of) to improve the efficiency of incandescent lamps is to raise the temperature. Tungsten-halogen lamps seem to represent the limit for consumer lighting.

CFLs are the first step in moving to LED lighting.

The sulphur lamp was, indeed, incandescent, not fluorescent. (You can't produce visible light by exciting atoms at microwave frequencies.)

There was talk of such applications as using a single sulphur lamp to provide all illumination functions in a car (including the headlights) via fiber optics. Ignoring the complexity of such a system (how do you shut off the light where it isn't needed?), the failure of the sulphur lamp would leave you without any illumination. Not a good idea on a dark road.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I was (over) reacting to Blake's idea of filling one's basement with incandescent bulbs - allowing for a certain amount of hyperbole: a little arithmetic on the number of bulbs used, life expectancy of the bulb, size of the basement, life expectancy of the user etc., would indicate a lot of hyperbole.

Technology marches along and you (or Blake) aren't the only one(s) looking for a full spectrum lamp that approximates sunlight accurately

- so there is a market for it. (like "warm white" LED's still not incandescent, but market and demand driven to improve the technology)

The original sulphur lamps were blue white but full spectrum. And looking at the design, they took some industrial microwave oven magnetrons, aimed them at a small globe of sulphur and that was pretty much it - I'd question their integrity, they may have been scamming the DEO for development funds, given the crude model, time spent and lack of finesse. (but they did come up with a proof of concept)

I think they burned something like 5 KW to get 1KW to the emitter for a luminous efficiency worse than fluorescent lamps when all was said and done - even before reflector losses and transmission losses.

They almost had to go big with the concept lamps since they used low frequency microwaves. A pea sized sulphur lamp might need a much higher excitation frequency so they'd have to buy some expensive military magnetrons or develop their own - and run afoul of the FCC in the process. The need to rotate the bulb was found to be unnecessary because the microwaves can used to rotate the plasma but they were already out of business by then.

I've already adapted to the CF lamps - but still have a few incandescent ones - for the bedroom and beer aging room. I even switched out a 75 W outdoor flood with a home made trio of Cree 1 W leds.

I find the white/blue light desirable when using a flashlight and especially outdoors at night.

default

Shamelessly copied from the electronics design newsgroup:

A Tic-Tac-sized lightbulb that gives off as much light as a streetlamp may offer a peek at the ultra-efficient lighting of the future. The bulb, developed by Luxim of Sunnyvale, California, uses plasma technology to achieve its brightness. The tiny bulb contains an argon gas in the middle, as well as a component called a "puck." The bulb is partially embedded in a dielectric material. When electrical energy is delivered to the puck, the puck acts like an electrical lens. It heats up the argon to a temperature of 6000 degrees Kelvin, and turns the gas into a plasma that gives off light.

The plasma, whose 6000-degree temperature is similar to that of the surface of the sun, also emits a spectrum that looks very similar to the spectrum of sunlight.

The plasma bulb uses 250 watts, and achieves around 140 lumens per watt, making it very bright and highly efficient. By comparison, conventional lightbulbs and high-end LEDs get around 15 and 70 lumens per watt, respectively.

"A key advantage is that the energy is driven into the bulb without any electrodes, so you don't need any electrical connections to get the energy into the bulb," Luxim CEO Tony McGettigan explained to ZDNet.

Luxim is using different versions of its electrode-less plasma technology to develop lighting for ultra-bright projection displays, retail and street lighting, microscope lighting, and various medical applications.

default

I don't see any problem in stocking up on the light bulbs that I prefer while they are still available, and see no reason to change. Of course if you don't want to use standard incandescent bulbs that is your own affair, but I am sticking with them and am laying in a long-term supply.

--
  Roger Blake
  (Subtract 10s for email.)