Lexmark Optra C - Paperjam

Hi. got a Lexmark Optra C and lately it gets paperjams from hell. this only happens when the printer is warm. i can turn it on and print a few pages then the 3rd or 4th print stops printing. says paper jam even if there is no paper in the printer.

if i turn it on and don't print for half hour or more it will say paper jam as soon as i try to print.

really frustrating as it takes the printer a long time to power up and self test and then to cool down again.

any hints or clues or ideas or pdf's would be appreciated. i'd rip it apart and clean it with a toothbrush if i had a service manual or knew where and what to look for.

thanks for anything. Al

Reply to
Alister Fiend

Lexmark service manuals are on line at Lexmark, I think.

Reply to
mc

I worked for a label printing company that had to be remain certified with Lexmark and the Optra printer line. They produce very nice output, but their internal drive mechanisms are cheap and low quality. Very prone to breakage. Paper jam error messages are very common with these models. I'll take the old HP Laserjet line any day over these...

Clean all of the rubber pinch rollers best you can with rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, the fuser mechanism could be worn and constricting paper movement through it. That will cause a chronic paper jam error message that won't go away and gets worse as the fuser gets hot. The fuser assembly removes from the printer in one piece. You might open the assembly up via a few screws and see if any scrap paper is constricting the feed points. If the rollers are rough, you'll need a new one. A new or rebuilt fuser is about $150 from various sources, but I see complete newer Optra R and S models in the computer recycle stores for $10 to $20. Good luck!

Reply to
ditinsta

"mc" wrote in news:4tZBf.9583$3m4.1349 @bignews5.bellsouth.net:

some are but haven't found the one i need, nor do they list it to buy it. i'll keep looking though. can get one on ebay for a few bucks and download the pdf so prob do that.

Reply to
Alister Fiend

I have a Optra R+ already, good little printer but it's not Color Laser like the Optra C. got em both from girlfriends work's silent auction - a few fixer-uppers and they work(ed) well. even got a lifetimes worth of toners for them, all for under $50.

so with the Optra C i don't mind spending some bucks on it, I think it would be about $600US or more to replace it.

i'm gonna have to open it, just wanted a service manual for it or ideas as to what could cause this or what to look for.

it has never jammed on me in a real sense, it prints good and fast, at least until it gets hot and this only started a month or two ago.

too bad it weighs 100 pounds or more, gonna be a bugger to move and dissasemble :D

"ditinsta" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Alister Fiend

Alister Fiend wrote: : Hi. got a Lexmark Optra C and lately it gets paperjams from hell. this : only happens when the printer is warm. i can turn it on and print a few : pages then the 3rd or 4th print stops printing. says paper jam even if : there is no paper in the printer.

: if i turn it on and don't print for half hour or more it will say paper jam : as soon as i try to print.

: really frustrating as it takes the printer a long time to power up and self : test and then to cool down again.

: any hints or clues or ideas or pdf's would be appreciated. i'd rip it : apart and clean it with a toothbrush if i had a service manual or knew : where and what to look for.

There might be some useful information on

The Optra C uses the same engine (Canon EP-H) as the Apple Colour Laserwriter 12/600PS and several other machines too. The 12/600PS has a display panel which indicates where it thinks the jam occurred. Does your machine indicate the jam location?

Tom.

: thanks for anything. : Al

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.