PING Jeff L: Printer Port Problem

Printer Port Problem on Win7...

Changed ISP's, Cox -> CenturyLink

So modem (fiber) is now on side of house instead of on my desk... now CAT5 to my desk instead of coax.

So I changed desk router to a Linksys GB switch.

Boom! hp 2015dn printer and Brother MFC-J4620DW printer ended up on same port, 192.168.0.16, and chaos ensues.

I can't figure out how to undo it.

Help!

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ok, so you now have a modem and no router provided by CenturyLink. Got a model number so I can determine if it's a modem only, or a modem, router, and switch in the same box?

An unspecified model Linksys Gigabit switch is *NOT* a router. Real model numbers are always helpful.

If the IP address is 192.168.0.xxx, then you have a router somewhere in your puzzle. Assuming that both printers use DHCP to obtain their IP addresses, all you need to do is unplug both of them (yes unplug, not just turn off), unplug whatever you're using for a router, count to about 15, plug it all back in, and DHCP should issue new IP addresses for both printers. Might as well power cycle EVERYTHING involved just to be sure.

If Win 7 complains of a duplicate IP address. CMD window -> right click -> Run as administrator ipconfig /release (wait about 10 seconds) ipconfig /renew exit

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Page 2, Linksys "Router" is now Linksys Switch SE3008

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You can HTTP right into the printer adn see what the Network settings are (DHCP or NO-DHCP) If it's DHCP then power reset should set things right. The CentryLink router does not know that the printer has the DHCP address. So everything should be power reset so DHCP can keep track of the addresses. Or you can wait for the DCHP lease timeout.....

Martin Riddle

I despise Win7. Had to delete all the printers then re-"find" them. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yep. You can't have two routers in series and expect machines on both networks to "see" printers on both networks (without configuring a static route between devices). Replacing the router on Page 2 with a switch should have solved that problem. You might want to fix the block diagram on Page 2 to reflect the current reality. Maybe add some model numbers and IP addresses.

Also, I like the Hebrew style signal flow diagram, where the signal path goes from right to left.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

;-) I'm like Trump... Jewish grandchildren ;-)

I think it was just that vindictive Win7. Deleting printers and then re-"finding" got all the IP addresses Kosher.

The additional problem is that my vintage hp P2015dn doesn't have a full-featured Win7 driver available... the assholes will get you one way or 'nother :-(

Any recommendations for a modern version... network (wired) and duplex printing? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I assume that it's now working.

Don't blame Windoze 7. You made a bad choice on both the HP and Brother printer configuration during installation. The mistake is rather subtle. Both installation scripts give you the option of using either the name, IP address, or MAC address of the printer for the driver to point to the printer. If you pick the IP address, you'll get the mess you're currently experiencing when the IP address changes. I suggest using the printer name as a target. However, don't try to change it now. You'll probably need to uninstall and reinstall all the junkware that both companies provide with their printers.

For my customers, I usually setup the printer for a fixed (static) IP address that is outside of the DHCP address pool (usually

192.168.1.100 through .150). I then setup the printer driver using the IP address as a target. With a unchangeable fixed IP address on the printer, the router could roll over and die, and the computahs would still print properly. Also, juggling routers does not change the printer IP.

Philosophically, devices that move or might move, such as laptops, smartphones, PC's, Chromebooks, and game boxes get DHCP assigned IP addresses. Devices that do NOT move, such as servers, NAS boxes, media servers, media players, and printers get fixed (static) IP addresses.

If you can't do a static IP for some reason, dive into the router configuration and see if it has a "pre-assigned DHCP address" feature. This is where you configure the printer MAC address to always have a specified IP address. Unless you change or reset your router, the printers should then both have the an IP address that doesn't change.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Good points... names instead of IP addresses. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Just a laser printer or an AIO (all in one) fax, copy, scan, and print? How many pages per month?

I've been buying these lately for customers with good results: Note that it's refurbished, not new. I've never received one that looks like it has ever been used. The print quality is not exactly the best. You also can't use it like a printing press as it's not made to last forever. However, the low price and cheap $12 TN450 toner carts on eBay make it tolerable.

If you want something better, or just a printer, bug me in a few daze as I'm short on time right now. More refurbished to choose from:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This.

Static IP's is my preferred approach, but names get assigned to them anyway when you install so they can still be referred to that way if you choose.

Reply to
pedro

Long ago, I was involved in conglomerating two large medical billing companies into one networks. I think there were about 500 IP addresses involved. One had a tangled mess of Novell, NETBIOS, local DNS/WINS, and AD (active directory) servers. The other was all static IP's, static routes, and far too many sub-nets. I managed to get things working, which required about two weeks of marathon overnight and weekend troubleshooting sessions. The big problem was combining all the customized scripts that ran both companies, which were full of a mix of IP's and names. Besides never to get involved in such a mess again, the major lesson learned was to keep things simple and centralized. If you must have static IP's on the LAN, then use pre-assigned MAC to IP mapping in the DHCP server(s).

Incidentally, the only excuses for a static IP on the WAN is if you're using the IP address to authenticate a VPN connection or you are running an on site mail server, where the MX DNS record must be an IP address, not a domain address. If you don't have either of these, I suggest using dynamic.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Fair comment. I allocate statics in the area between say .50 and .99 with a DHCP pool range .100 up. Small fish compared to a lot of corporates, but it works for me.

Reply to
pedro

huh, MX must be a name (or list of names).

It helps if the name(s) resolve to constant IP address(es), but this is not essential. OTOH MX is optional (but reccomended).

Jasen Betts