2 panel projection engine implementation

Hi:

I've read a lot about projection technologies for rear and front projection televisions. Has anyone seen a commercial implementation of a two panel LCD/DMD/LCOS projection engine?

I've only see 3 panels and 1 panel with color-wheel.

Thanks,

Derek

Reply to
dcau88

What would be the point of using 2 panels?

Reply to
James Sweet

Primarily lower cost with improved output and minimal artifacts over single panel implementations. It is a hybrid between three panel and time sequential single panel systems.

In a 2 panel implementation you would have a discreet panel on red for example and sequential imaging on blue and green.

Reply to
dcau88

Seems like kind of a waste of time to me, is that third panel really that much more expensive than the color wheel and additional optics to make two panels work? Makes more sense to use 1 panel for cheap units and 3 panels for good ones.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James:

What you have said may very well be true and is reasonable to me. The papers that I have seen date back to 1999. At the time, the incremental cost of the additional panel(s) may have been a significant economic issue. LCDs are ubiquitous and prices have fallen thus eliminating the cost benefit.

I was just curious to see if anyone build and sold any with two panel scheme.

Thanks,

Derek

Reply to
dcau88