Laser printer gloat

HP originally used 5%. That resulted in yields for US and EU being slightly different due to the differences between letter size and A4 size paper. Since 2004, everyone uses ISO/IEC 19752.

More on how page yield is measured:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My Xerox (a 5400) has been very good, about one jam every six months (usually after loading the tray). Does reasonably on double sided, but not perfect (I really would like to get the duplexer option, and am watching eBay for one). I actually am picking up a second 5400 this morning, too, for either spare or second use.

Reply to
PeterD

I've done it all the time on LaserJet II, III, 4m, and 5 printers. (I often keep a tray full of scrap paper that's already printed on one side.) It works best if the paper has chance to cool and lose its curl, though. If it's hot out of the machine you may have problems. Sometimes if the weather is try the paper will come out with a static charge that makes it stick together and misfeed, too.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

The fuser eventually went out on my II, after many years. I got rid of it and replaced it with a heavily (ab)used 4m, surplus from a college computer lab. Used that for three or four years until the output rollers got too warn and it started to jam; I could have fixed it, but at that point I was sick of how slow it was, so I went to the local computer recycler and bought a lightly used 2300n. These HP laser printers are so cheap on the used market and hold up so well in home use.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

The HP LaserJet II, III, and 4 series printers all used Canon print engines.

The II and III suffer least from that problem, because their trays project out the front. It makes them very bulky, though.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

5% coverage. AKA the "Slerexe Letter". cf:
   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Yep, you're right. It's been long enough that I just misremembered.

Yep. I first learned to repair lasers when I worked for Canon. That knowledge came in very handy for fixing other brands.

[snip lots of useful info]
   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Our home office printer is an HP LJ III which we purchased new on July 27, 1990. I have the exact date at hand because we came across the canceled check several years ago and taped it to the cover of the printer. $1,872.50 - IN 1990 US$$$!!

All-in-all, I've been able to keep it supplied with toner cartridges by buying them in unopened boxes at 2nd-hand stores-- which were no doubt dropped off by folks that just had to 'upgrade' to the troublesome inkjet printers.

Admittedly, it does not get heavy use. The only repair I've had to do to it is replace the fuser assy -- about 2 years ago.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2