Laptop/ drill rechargable batterys.. methods for longer life?

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...>

Right. Let them go flat all by themselves. Forcing the issue certainly isn't healthy. Compare this with lead-acid chemistry, where they should never be left to go flat and be stored with a float-charge.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

define "totally flat",or just "flat".

Are you saying -zero- volts per cell?

If there's -any- charge on them,they'll grow dendrites.

In my experience,NiCds that aren't used regularly go bad quickly.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In article , snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov says...>

Yes. That's flat. They'll self-discharge all the way to zero in a year or so.

There won't be charge in them long.

Either you buy incredibly crappy batteries or you're doing something bad to them.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

and won't recover,either.

evidently long enough to grow dendrites.

that experience would include my own purchases(like B&D and Makita) and those of Tektronix for their battery-powered products.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ividual.net:

.

You can almost always burn the dendrites off with a current thru the battery of 10 amps or so for a few seconds. The problem is that you may have to take the battery pack apart to get to each cell to see which one(s) have developed shorts.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I suppose you believe Ron Popiel too. The nature of the batery chemistry says that this is false.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hey,I'm just relating what DIGI-KEY lists in their catalog;NiCds specifically designed for continous charge;24/7/365.

Digi Key is not RONCO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply to
Jim Yanik

In article , snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov says...>

Specifically designed works. I believe the chemists.

Don't bet on it.

Reply to
krw

I agree that many people are too keen on discharging their packs until every last bit of charge has been removed, at which point one of the cells will be reverse charged and damaged.

If you store them fully charged and let them self-discharge, the rate of self-discharge is likely to be different between different cells in the pack, meaning that after storage there will be a wide variation in the state of charge between the different cells. Then if the pack is subsequently fast-charged, one of the cells may get overcharged.

I would aim to get the pack nearly flat, but not so flat that any of the cells is at any risk of being reverse charged, before storing the pack for a long period.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Chris Jones wrote in news:v7P8l.129655$i snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.ams:

I'd aim to get lithium-ion packs,that will retain a usable charge for several months.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer products.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:gk0l0p$60h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

JY wrote;

krw wrote;

it kinda destroys krw's credibility.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...>

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online catalog is better.

Reply to
krw

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The Prius maintains its batteries at between 50-80% of full charge.

Any new battery or battery that's gone unused for at least 2 months should be charged longer than normal, 24-36 hours, whether you use a fast charger or trickle charger. The only exceptions are very primitive chargers that end charging with just a simple bimetal thermostat. Disconnect the battery within an hour after the thermostat opens.

Try to let batteries cool down before recharging, but do not leave the battery connected to the battery continuously, even if the charger is designed to shut off or go into a maintenance mode. Also do not fully discharge batteries regularly but only down to 1.1V per cell (13.2V, in the case of a 14.4V battery). Deeper discharge is harmful. Also check each cell occasionally for reverse polarity. If not corrected, reverse polarity will lead to the affected cell becoming shorted and the other cells overcharged. To correct reverse polarity, charge the affected cell by directly connecting approximately 100mA DC to that cell and only that cell for a few minutes, then recharge the battery normally.

Drilling several tiny vent holes into the battery pack may help cooling, top and bottom, but remove the cells first.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Can't read much, eh?

Reply to
krw

Guess not.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

At least you're honest about your shortcommings.

Reply to
krw

I was being sarcastic.

To compare a major distributor of name-brand electronic components that it does not manufacture, with a maker of consumer gadgetry, is ludicrous.

The fact that both companies sell items for more than what it costs to make or obtain them (which all companies have to do to stay in business) does not bestow any form of equivalence on their businesses.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I wasn't. Your shorcommings aren't just in your shorts, evidently.

You think Ron Popiel actually makes his gadgets?

Both sell shit for *way* more than it's worth.

Reply to
krw