Kind of a generic electrolytic cap question

rd going prices.

They do with with DLP lamps. OEM bulbs over here generally cost $80 U.S. g ive or take. People started buying ebay and Amazon lamps for a third of th e cost of OEM and finding out they were either crapping out immediately or within a few months. They generally are not as bright as well. People star ted avoiding the cheap lamps.

A few sellers have been selling counterfeit Philips bulbs at prices just be low what Philips lamps sell for - seems like a great deal on Philips brand bulbs but it's the same old crappy lamp at a lot more money.

Reply to
John-Del

--------------- Phil Allis>

give or take. People started buying ebay and Amazon lamps for a third of the cost of OEM and finding out they were either crapping out immediately o r within a few months. They generally are not as bright as well. People st arted avoiding the cheap lamps.

below what Philips lamps sell for - seems like a great deal on Philips bran d bulbs but it's the same old crappy lamp at a lot more money.

** Reminds me of the old trick used by many dealers in second hand furnitur e.

If they have an largish item that has been taking up space for a while with no sale - they put it out the front with a sign:

" Today's Special "

With double the previous asking price.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

People are funny about things.

I know a man that sells cantalopes and other items at a farmers market.

He had them for $ .25 each and not selling. He took that sign and marked through it and made it 3 for $ 1. Sold most of them at the higher price. People did not do the simple math and see that they were paying about 8 cents more for each one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Here in Canada, on our national radio station CBC, we get a fellow named Terry O'Reilley on the air with a show called "Under the Influence" - which is all about advertising. Where this story is leading is he had a great show on pricing where he talked about the above subject and people's perception of prices and what influences them.

The episode is: S3E02 (Archive) - The Psychology of Price

Listen to it here:

Or go to the main page at and track down S3E02:

I've been listening to him for years, lots of great info on how advertising (both good and bad) influences us.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I'm interested to hear how you remove caps from paper based boards with zero board damage rate. Early paper PCBs are somewhat notorious for tracks coming off when heated.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Takes me about 10 seconds. I like to know whether I've found a fault or need to keep looking.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A very hot iron wetted with fresh eutectic solder, together with expeditious use of a solder-sucker will pull the solder and loosen the lead without damage. It is the sustained heat that causes the traces to lift.

Horses for courses.

Peter Wieck Melroes Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Takes me about 10 seconds with the ESR meter, containing a 12 volt battery. Takes a bit longer on the big checker that operates at up to 550 VDC.

Which do yo think will give the more reliable results?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

If you lack the skills to do this, you're a hack. It's that simple. I've been doing this for 50 years now. I don't lift traces, or break off terminals unsoldering things.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

550v will tell you more about leakage, not more about ESR.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

lol. You can't help yourself can you. I didn't even mention what I do or can do.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sure you did. You asked *me* "...how you (meaning me) remove caps from paper based boards with zero board damage rate."

This indicates you can't.

Reply to
John-Del

yawn

Reply to
tabbypurr

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. To a hack, everything looks like a can't.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

life's too short for this much childishness. Sorry.

Reply to
tabbypurr

And yet you persist.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The idiot's a troll. Look back at his previous interactions with others here and elsewhere and there's an unmistakable picture that emerges. I've KF'd him. You can waste *so* much time on pricks like that if you're not careful.

Cursitor Doom

Oh dear, I've been kill filed by a hack. What ever shall I do?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

he's aping slowman.