JVC R-X500B, doesn't quite power up.

I'm new to posting here, so bear with me if my etiquette is lacking. I have a JVC R-X500B (circa 1984) reciever that when switched on, the display back-lights come on, and then the protection relay clicks, but the display is blank and no audio output. With headphones plugged in, you can hear a very faint 'hiss' after the relay clicks; probably just background amp noise.

The reciever was given to me by someone cleaning out their garage. He claims it was working when he put it away. I've checked the obvious stuff like fuses, and PS transformer output. I'm wondering if it's worth getting into as I don't know much about these old JVC units. However it does appear to be in very good condition; no scratches or dings on the outside and the inside is dust and dirt-free. I also don't have a reciever at the moment, so this might be better than nothing. Any help or suggestions with this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon

--
oftaan
Reply to

I would begin by checking the various power supply voltages.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks Mark, I can check the output voltages, but I don't have any specs to work from to see if they're correct. Does anyone have any specs or schematics laying around on this set? Thanks, Jon

--
oftaan
Reply to