JVC HR-S3800U won't power on

I have a JVC HR-S3800U VCR that will not turn on no matter what method is tried (Power button, insert tape, remote).

I opened it up and the internal fuse is not blown. What else can I check to try and get this unit working again?

Reply to
sstormont

sstormont ha escrito:

IF, and only IF, you know what you're doing, replace the capacitors in the SMPS primary. If not get it to a technician.

-B.

Is there any sign of life whatsoever? Is the display lit?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

If the power supply seems to have all the correct secondary voltages present, check the power-on-push-button-switch to see if it's closing. I've seen several different units, VCR's rcvr's, amps, etc where the switch has failed. It should be pulling a 5V(or less)logic level to a low state or passing it through, sort of pull up style, to a controller chip. And if you're not real savy with electronics find a repair shop/technician. JVC supports the repair business and their stuff is usually worth fixing. Good luck.

b wrote:

Reply to
tomh

There is no sign of life at all.

With this unit, shouldn't it power on when a tape is inserted?

I took an initial look at the caps, and none of them seemed to be leaking or blown.

tomh wrote:

Reply to
sstormont

sstormont ha escrito:

caps can fail and not be visibly bad. unless you have an esr meter, it is simpler just to change them. they're extremely cheap as components go. What you describe, the dead condition, (if i read correctly) is a very common fault with vcrs switch mode power supplies. chnage the caps and post back.

-B.

It looks like C506 and C5102 are the only ones in that area. Which other ones should I replace?

b wrote:

Reply to
sstormont