Repairing JVC HR-S3910U S-VHS

Hello,

I have a JVC HR-S3910U S-VHS machine that I would like to repair. The machine makes a strange whirring sound (i.e. tape loading sound, it seems like it will load a tape, but does not complete the loading) will not accept tapes, and the eject mechanism (the metal frame that holds the tape) has come apart.

Where can I get good replacement parts? Someone recommended Andrews Electronics a while back, but any other parts suppliers that you might recommend?

Is it possible to replace the eject frame itself, and what part should I be asking for?

Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Solo

Cracked/slipping plastic pulley on metal motor shaft?

N_Cook

Some parts are still available from JVC:

It looks like that model uses a "mode belt". That might help with the "whirring" sound you mentioned(?) If the load basket is damaged beyond repair though, it may cost more to replace that than the machine is worth.

You might try looking on Ebay for a parts machine or even a replacement

- VCRs there are usually fairly inexpensive these days ...here's a closed auction for the same model:

Sofa Slug

Thank you for the great suggestions,

The eject mechanism that I would like to replace is actually the part where it says "To Remove a Cassette, Push Down on the Two Latches"

The plastic part on the right, came apart, and I wanted to replace this. This is the frame that holds the tape, and is pushed down whenever a tape loads. The other parts of the eject mechanism inside the VCR itself, is okay and intact.

I have got to hand it to you: The e-bay auction, that ended, had a machine that was in top notch condition! If only they had a GE VCR in the same condition, the VG2000 series! It seems that mid 90's 4 head machines were the best, but these are becoming hard to find on e-bay.

parts

.
Reply to
Solo

U-parts

th.

Reply to
Solo

Successfully mounted the eject frame back into the eject mechanism (The top part with the latches that holds the tape down) -- Problem is that the right side, which is made of plastic, has worn out which makes it difficult to hold it together.

There is a part that is attached to the plastic, on the right side : A metal part, with a launch coil spring beneath, the kind that you can wind back, and release forward: This works, but seems to come apart every time when inserting a tape.

Also, a caterpillar spring, with a hook on the top, and a loop on the bottom, came out of the right side of the eject mechanism plastic, would like to put it back in the right place.

Another part, a thin, rectangular metallic wafer, also fell out of the bottom.

I think I can get this machine to work -- Any suggestions?

Reply to
Solo

If you could take a photo of the broken parts/mechanism and post a link to it, I think it would be easier for people to assist you. A visual aid is always best :)

Reply to
Sofa Slug

Will post photos: I have the original schematic/diagram which lists every part, but it is a .pdf, will have to find a server to post or I can e-mail it to you.

In the meantime, the parts in question are as follows:

The right side holder (LP-10082-002M) seems to be worn out, and a tension spring which is attached to the top guide, came out. I put this back in today, but the side holder, needs to be replaced. The cassette holder was bent, managed to fix this.

Will get the new parts, and see if they work, will post.

Reply to
Solo

In the meantime, the parts in question are as follows:

The right side holder (LP-10082-002M) seems to be worn out, and a tension spring which is attached to the top guide, came out. I put this back in today, but the side holder, needs to be replaced. The cassette holder was bent, managed to fix this.

Will get the new parts, and see if they work, will post.

Probably other combinations work but you can certainly highlight and copy images in pdf on Foxit pdf reader and view/save as jpg etc in Irfanview graphics package While at it "Easy pdf" for pdf to plain text conversion

N_Cook