JVC "Boom Box" PC-X106BK is "Dead"

Hi,

I have a JVC model PC-X106BK "boom Box" AM/FM/CD/Cassette portable in my shop for service. I do not have a service manual.

The owner said she went to turn it on, and nothing happened ("dead"),

There is no display, and nothing happens when it is plugged into AC or when using batteries.

I checked fuses (AOK). The power supply output has 16V and 5.6V DC outputs. The power button switch is fine and there is 5.6VDC present at the connector to the control PCB.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thank You in Advance, John

PS, Remove "ine" from my email address

Reply to
jaugustine

able in my

dead"),

into AC or

check on eserviceinfo.com for a manual, you may find a similar model. my guess here is that the uPC or its supply is defective, especially if the unit has no 'hard on off switch'

-B

John, I have the service manual in paper format, and could probably scan the pages that have the system control / display drive circuitry on them for you, if that would be any use. Having a quick look, there appears to be a

3-legged sub regulator providing a supply for the uC up on the front panel pcb. It is IC305. Might be a good place to go looking.

If you would like me to scan some sections of the manual for you, contact me off-group on the address used to post this, and we can discuss direct what you need.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi Arfa,

Based on what this person told be regarding the carpet in the room where the boom box was located (bitter cold Winter, very dry air), I considered the possibility of static electricity damage. I asked her if she used the remote or did she touch the unit. She touched the unit.

I gave an estimate for the repair. This person decided not to have it repaired and picked up the unit.

Thanks for your offer, John

Reply to
jaugustine

No probs - I'll stick it back in the drawer then ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily