THE END IS NEAR !!! (Will the power grid fail this Sunday?)

It's never heppened before, but there were a few close calls from what I have heard. Yea, Sunday is the Superbowl, and that means almost every television in the USA will be turned on all about the same time. That's a lot of tv sets. Heck, a local bar just bought 3 more big screen tvs just for the game.

Yea, there are a few people who are not interested in the football game, and I am one of them. But I'll probably go to the local bar just for all the free food they are going to have, which means I'll at least watch the game's commercials, and learn which of the two teams I dont care about, will win.

So far, we have almost every tv in the US turned on, but consider how many electric cooking warmers will be in use, along with home and business lights, refrigerators for all that beer, and ice making machines, and a lot more power using devices....

I know it's possible for at least parts of the electric grid to fail. Will it happen? I guess we will find out this Sunday.

But it's not just the electric grid we need to worry about. It's also the sewer systems all over the country. When everyone flushes toilets during halftime, there could be sewerage backups. I recall this has actually occurred in the past in a few places. I guess it's best to flush before the game...... Then wait till halftime is over....

OR, just rent a porta potty for the backyard and use that.... After all, once you finish that half barrel of beer, you wont care where you go, as long as there is toilet paper, and a flashlight. And if everything fails, you might still be able to watch the game on your smartphone, so charge it in advance of the game, and have plenty spare batteries for your portable radios and flashlights.

THE END IS NEAR !!! Will the Superbowl be THE END of technology? The answer is "Maybe", but one thing for sure, it will be THE END of the football season....

Reply to
oldschool

This is not the first time we've had a Super Bowl. In fact, viewership will probably be down from past years, what with kneeling and general football fatigue.

I'm not going to watch it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Don't know if you read the paper but TVs ain't been heavy draw tube CRT jobs in a LONG time.

Most now are down below a couple hundred watts each nowadays. Since they got rid of that last TUBE that was in them (backlights). Bars' electric bills went down and their TV counts went up.

Reply to
Long Hair

Despite anecdotes, rumors, fake news, and divinely inspired prophesy predicting the total collapse of the nations sewer systems, it is highly likely that the plumbing will survive the SuperBowl: However, I'm wondering if tap water will temporarily taste like beer after the treatment plants are overloaded.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks a lot !

Your presence at the bar will require them cooking more food and that little bit of extra energy will cause all the breakers to pop all the way to my house.

So please stay home and help out by turning off all appliances.

And tell you wife to only use her battery powered personal appliances.

Only you can prevent power pole fires.

Reply to
AfreeMan

Are you sure?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Only if you are downstream...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I've never seen it. My friends and I used to have "F--- the super bowl parties", with a movie or two, but we don't even recognize the day any more.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I could care less about the game. But I recognize the game day, because I know that I can go to any local bar and eat all kinds of free (and usually very good) food. That sure beats eating my own cooking. :)

These bars always have drink specials too. I am not much of a drinker, but I'll take advantage of at least one of the specials.

Besides that, it's winter and I'm always looking for something to get me out of the house and around people this time of year. So, it's just a party, almost like a holiday, and I know I'll have fun. No matter which way I look, I am sure there will be a tv turned on, but I'll probably watch more for funny commercials than I will watch the game.

One thing I learned, is that the stadium can hold 65,000 people. I saw on the tv news that the ticket prices start at $4000 for a cheap seat and go up from there. I plugged those numbers into a calculator and that amounts to: $260,000,000. That's only if the tickets are all $4000, which many sell for more. Add to that the cost of refreshments. I bet a beer costs close to $10 and about the same for a hotdog. And I'm sure there are lots of expensive souvineers too. Knowing this, I bet the game brings in at least one half billion dollars.

I also heard that the motels and hotels are getting $600 to $1000 for a room for one night.

That's what the game is really all about, BIG MONEY!

Obviously, only the most wealthy can afford to go to the game. That leaves me out...

Reply to
oldschool

Interesting articles.... I always wondered how much truth there was to these Superbowl halftime sewer backups. Now I know....

But the Superbowl still has something in common with the toilet. Both are bowls! And some people will spend most of the game looking at the bottom of a toilet bowl, after drinking too much....

Reply to
oldschool

Good idea. Like Trick-or-Treating for wings.

While you're eating for free. What fools they are.

It has been said that, the reason people are fans is, they want to be emotionally invested in something that doesn't have consequences. That explains why I don't care. I don't want to be emotionally invested in anything that doesn't have consequences.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso