IR V visible red and PVR remotes.

Hi All,

We have recently gained a second set top box / personal video recorder and they are both (technically) the same. The problem then is the two remotes affect both units (as they are used independently).

Now, I was wondering if I was to replace one remote TX LED with a visible red LED and possibly put a visible red optical grade filter over the matching STB, would / should that be enough to isolate the two systems?

The visible red system is used very close so range shouldn't be a problem.

Would I also need a IR 'pass' filter on the IR remote and STB to filter out any of the visible red signals?

Failing that (or the use of some polarising filters which I've got but don't want to cut up if there is a technical reason why it won't work) I could just make one remote 'wired' by putting the TX LED inside the actual STB.

Thanks for your time etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. These are Topfield TF58000PVRs and whilst I think there are some taps that are supposed to allow some sort of dual use, I've not worked out what is required and it looks like you would need a second remote (and to re program it) in any case.

Reply to
T i m

"T i m"

** Are you " having a laugh " ??

Remotes are all IR for damn good reasons.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"T i m"

** Bet he has big gaps between his front teeth .....

** Care to point one such out to us?

BTW:

Impossible is not the issue - impractical is.

... or even using an audible 'click' for that matter? ;-)

** I smell as nasty red fish.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I believe I can manage both.

Because a red photon has more energy than an IR photon, the IR sensor would likely respond to the red light from the "other" remote. So, no, you couldn't easily isolate them.

You'd probably need fairly sharp optical bandpass filters. Is it worth the trouble?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I've got round this problem by using a small angled black rubber tube glued at an angle over the sensor of the little used unit . Then have to hold its remote above head and directed down but it works around the problem.

Reply to
N_Cook

You could build a very small and cheap single transistor radio TX/RX channel for one of the remotes, replacing the optics?

Or similar with ultrasonic transducers?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Firstly, thanks to all you have replied so far.

Funnily enough I thought that one out loud when talking to the SIL_to_be about it earlier.

Yup .... basically anything that isn't going to interfere with the IR signal but could still be modulated.

However, whilst any / all of the thoughts and suggestions of keeping it 'remote' are good, ITRW I'm not sure I'd ever get round to actually implementing them, whereas I might actually get round to simply making the remote 'wired'.

A second IRTX placed inside the second unit with the external window covered with black tape. The IR TX LED(?) wired via a 3.5mm jack socket and similar on the remote (the switch on the socket isolating the internal TX). She's sitting right next to her Topfield anyway so it being wired really would be any disadvantage. Removing the lead and the tape reverts it back as std?

I'll just have to see how much room there is in the remote.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And the owners manual or Google don't come up with anything about changing the remote address?

Klaatu

There's nothing in the original manual or remote about changing the address because it's not supported. One remote, intended to be used with one device. Two in one room, interference.

There are TAPS (application software) which can be used to alter the behaviour of the PVR to ignore the standard TF5800 codes, and instead to use TF5810 (similar handset) codes. Or you can use a one-for-all with the "other" code set on.

The OP already has these TAPs but has not got them working and so is asking the question again, having already tried in uk.tech.tv.video.pvr und uk.something.or.other-digital.tv ... and been given several possible solutions, including trying the very helpful Topfield forum, where I'm sure people familiar with the hardware and software could indicate why it's not working.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk

Mike

Or some hotmelt glue and a bit of old fibre optic from a christmas lighting decoration? What about one of the audio TosLink cables?

Reply to
Geo

There's no reason to replace any LEDs. You could more easily use two circular polarizers (right hand and left hand) just like some stereo-TV and stereo movie systems employ. This would require filters on the receivers and remote transmitters.

Alas, reflections will complicate matters (the mirror-reflection of such light changes the handedness...).

Many PVRs come with sockets in back for 'other' inputs than infrared, you could switch one of your PVRs to a UHF remote (there are UHF receivers that plug into that backpanel socket); this will generally override IR input, and only requires you to get one of the universal remotes that has UHF output, like for instance.

You might have to inhibit the IR output from the universal remote (black tape?).

Reply to
whit3rd

Since he says one is close to the remote, all he has to do is connect some fibre optic from the LED on the remote to the sensor on the unit.

Or, take the LED off the remote, put it on a pair of wires long enough, and then physically mount the LED in front of the IR sensor on the unit.

It's no different from some old remotes for tv sets and VCRs and cable converters, which did have the remotes hardwired to them.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

And reflection from a non-metallic surface destroys the polarization altogether.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck