in UK, looking for little plug and socket connector

a very basic question...I lack electronics background.

I intentionally cut a wire. DC 5V and

Reply to
jameshanley39

RS Components are a trade supplier and wouldn't be expected to answer such things over the phone. You might do better with Maplin if they still have a technical advice department.

There are many different types of connectors that would satisfy your requirement - the obvious one being a standard 2.5mm plug and socket. Mini DIN connectors are principally designed for signal handling - not power.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the stuff the rs woman said about everything other than mini din being AC is bull? She also said that all the connectors they have don't go as low as allowing 5V!

I did call maplin first. The guy said all they had was "chocolate boxes". They'd work but they're large. He said they don't sell the connectors outside of the boxes. And that the best place to ask is rs components!

how about this? Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Line Socket

FT93B

Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Plug

FJ85G

Reply to
jameshanley39

The answer of a telephonist doing a search and not understanding specs, I'd say. There's not a connector I know of that won't allow low volts. Specs usually give maximum figures - not minimum.

Sad - at one time Maplin had quite reasonable tech help by phone.

You're on the right track but those are audio connectors. Look for the same thing under *power* connectors. The sort you commonly get on wall warts, etc. But they require soldering and are a bit fiddly to fit properly.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The rs woman was on a technical line and introduced herself as such. As was the maplin number.

I called maplin again and the guy was better.

DC Power Line Sockets JK11

DC Power Plugs L48AY

He said they take up to 2A, and up to 24V though most people don't up that amount of V on there.

Reply to
jameshanley39

In reality they'd 'take' a great deal more than 24 volts - but the design is safe for extra low voltage only, so should only be used for this.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

good god. Any connector that is rated to 2A or more will do it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 26 Mar 2007 12:41:27 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" put finger to keyboard and composed: