AR Stereo Receiver Center-Tuned Meter

I have a very-early run AR Receiver, from the serial number amongst the first 100 made (model W before being called the Model R), or so. In any case, the center-tuned meter has crapped out... or better it should be described as mangled during a previous repair attempt. I have done all the other necessary repairs (to suggest that this unit was "previously enjoyed" is only a modest understatement) but now I want to replace the meter.

It appears to operate from approximately -1V - +1V. Off-station is

0V.The visible dimension is just under 1/2" by just under 1". The entire meter is just over 1" square.I use approximations as the mask can be made larger or smaller, and there is some room "in back" for a slightly larger meter in all dimensions. The meter has no internal lighting and the back-lit device is intact. The receiver has a Gorler (as opposed to Waller) front-end if that makes any difference.

Where would I find such a beast? AR themselves used a few slightly different meters over the years, all being Center-Tuned. Is there a supplier to the aftermarket? This is the first time I have ever had a bad meter on one of these.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Hi Peter. Such items are certainly available. I bought one here recently when I was flinging together a bias checking box for Fender amps. It is used to set the tube balance. I got mine from Farnell

under part number 143510. I'm sure such an item must be available from similar suppliers in the US, but if you get really stuck, Farnell do export, but whether there is a minimum order or whether the shipping would be worth it, I don't know.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Many thanks! I can adapt an ammeter to this use, so if all else fails, that is what I will do.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Yes indeed. All moving coil meters are in fact ammeters. Whether they read amps or volts is purely down to how you shunt or series them with resistance. For the meter that I pointed you to, a series R of about 8k2 would be needed to make it read + / - 1V

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Found the almost the same meter on this side of the pond. $10 w/ shipping. Slightly smaller (a good thing), same ratings. It helped to know what to call it. When it arrives, I will test several resistor values so as to make it function correctly under various actual use conditions. the +/- voltage was as read by my Fluke with two damp fingers on the antenna lead. So, with a real antenna connected, readings may be different.

Thanks again for the tip.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

You're very welcome. Glad you found an equivalent, and hope it works out OK. You could always fit a preset pot of say 20k, wired as a variable resistor, (one end shorted to the wiper) in series with the meter. That way, you can set a full scale reading that suits that particular meter, in that particular application.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Update:

The meter arrived last night and immediately went into the receiver. I had to clip the screw-tabs, but that was the only physical modification required to the meter or the receiver. A bit of hot-melt glue on the remaining flange was all it took for a neat, centered installation.

It turned out that the meter responded correctly without the need for a series-resistor, my suspicions to that end were aroused when I saw that that solder-tabs were polarized. In any case, with a proper antenna it does exactly what it should do, and reads 'center' exactly where it should as well.

Thanks again for the tip, I may order a couple more to hold in the spares-box.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Glad you got a fix, and it turned out to be so simple in the end. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post back and let us all know the outcome. Always nice to see a thread through to its conclusion.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily