Blu-Ray repair experiences?

Does anyone have experience in repairing Blu-Ray disc players?

Would you say that they are, in general, more difficult to repair than ordinary DVD players?

Are they more prone to tracking problems due to the finer data density?

Thanks for any info...

Reply to
Mr. Land

I don't think they've been out long enough for any significant number of them to fail. Internally they're pretty similar to DVD players and the same troubleshooting applies.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, I went ahead and picked up an "as-is" Blu-Ray player and, wouldn't you know it, after repairing its mechanical problems (all having to do with the front panel), it won't play Blu-Ray disks.

It's an old Samsung BD-P1000 (did these things really sell for $1000?).

When I first tried it, it would play traditional DVD's just fine, but wouldn't play any Blu-Ray discs at all. It can't seem to find the starting point on these discs and after about a minute of seeking and focusing, finally gives up, spits them out, and displays "The disk cannot be played." on the screen.

I've updated the firmware to the latest version available but that didn't help.

Being a hobbyist I only have the simplest of test equipment. I did have a look at the laser assembly - it seems to have two, side-by-side lasers: a (conventional?) red, and a blue. With a Blu-Ray disc inserted I can see the blue laser from the label side of the spinning disc - it is seeking and refocusing but always gives up.

The other thing I noticed is that the disc spins much, much faster when it's a Blu-Ray - I assume this is normal.

I'm thinking that I don't have much of a chance of getting this working.

Appreciate any suggestions (even if they are to simply trash the thing.)

Reply to
Mr. Land

[...]

Most likely a bad pickup (sold as a complete mechanism). Samsung disc players have traditionally had pickup problems. Like most dvd players, this likely puts it out of the economical repair range.

There are different versions of this unit - probably all virtually the same - but you'll need to have the full model number with the X/XAA or whatever suffix and call Andrews Electronics at 800-289-0300. The list price is apparently about 288.00 .

If you're with a shop, you can maybe get dealer cost, maybe about 30 to 40 percent off.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Reply to
Mr. Land

On Apr 9, 4:47 am, "Mr. Land" wrote: l?) red, and a blue.

have you tried replacing the ribbon cable from the p-up to the pcb? hairline cracks can form. Given this material is unlikely to cost more than a couple of dollars it's worth a go. if not; well you can still use it as a standard dvd player :-)

I don't think the cable is even available as a listed repair part for this model, and it's a virtual impossibility to cross it to another. The entire dvd mech, including the pickup cable, is sold as a complete unit.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias