HP8116A lost its output.

Hi,

we have a 8116A that has lost (most of) the output signal since a couple of months. Agilent doesn't repair these oldies anymore, so I'm trying to find out if there's a chance to solve the problem by myself.

The signal is not completely gone, with a scoop set to 10mV/div I can still see a ~20mV signal, with the correct frequency & waveform, but neither the 'disable' button or increasing the signal strength have any effect, so my guess is it's either the Output Disable function or a driver circuit. The TRIG OUTPUT signal is Ok btw.

With a schematic I could probably find out where the problem lies, but a search brought no solution there, so my question is: has anyone seen this before, and does he or she know where I could look inside the instrument (or better yet, what part it could be)?

Thanks for all answers.

Theo

--
Satellite Services B.V.
Netherlands

Try logsa.army.mil for a manual, they may have one.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle

Thanks, the problem is solved already. Someone was kind enough to send me the needed schematics, tracing the signal was relatively easy after that. It turned out to be a shorted Zener diode in the final protection circuit. I've replaced that, and a Schottky diode in the same path, and the instrument is in full working order again. I'd like to give credit to the man who sent me the schematics and other documents, but I'm not sure if he wants his name mentioned in public.

Theo

--
theo at van-werkhoven.nl    ICQ:277217131                      SuSE Linux
linuxcounter.org: 99872  Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl  AMD XP2100+ 512MB

Hi Theo

I've some problem with my HP8116A Pulse/Function Generator displaying error code 55. This indicates that self test has failed and would like to

repair it myself. It will be of very kind if you can help to send me the

schematics for this unit. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Rgds - Milkyway

--