Guitar Output Voltage

Hello

The datasheets for EMG81 pickups say that the output voltage signal is 1v RMS.

However, when I connect the guitar to the oscilloscope and play, I read something like 20mv peak!

The input impedance of the scope is 1M.

Is that normal?

I tried this with different pickups, and I also get very small signal, not like the datasheets. Something in the rage of 10mv peak.

The pickups are connected in the guitar, and I measure the signal when I hit a string with a pick with moderate power.

Thanks

Reply to
Lost'n Found

Those active pickups, which implies that there is a gain stage built in.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

If Boris of the coat of MoHair is right about them being activated... perhaps that is their maximum before 'clipping' output based on what they have as batteries and the electyronics in them. Like if they run on two button cells then that's about 3V or +/-1.5V which is about 1V RMS.

I suppose that if you tweakle the pickyup things really close to the stringy things then give it a good one then you won't get there either...

Anyway.... Wot you need to doo is.... DOOOOOOO YOU WANT TO HEAR MY NEW TUNE?

I HAVE COMPOSED IT USING ANVIL STUDIO BUT PEOPLE AROUND HERE ARE COMPLAINING EVERY TIME I PLAY IT BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT ADMIT IT IS REALLY GOOD.

Fancy having to live life with an ego problem.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Let me rephrase the question:

The scope reads 20mv, not 1v. I based the design on the assumption that signal is about 500mV. Turns out it is 1 decade below that!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply to
Lost'n Found

Boost it with this. Found about it yesterday. I couldn't play a instrument to save my life but my daughter is pretty hot.

Than if you run out of stings there is

Past that you are into dulcimer and harp.

-- Boris

Boris Mohar

"Lost'n Found"

** A bit more actually.

** Then you must be playing a single string, quite softly and the PU is fitted a long way from the strings.
** Try strumming a full chord fairly hard - then you should see levels of about 1 volt rms.

The dynamic range of an electric guitar is rather large.

BTW

You sure your control pots are wired right and are the correct values?

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:28:05 -0500, Lost'n Found top-posted:

Approx. 20 mV output is perfectly normal for a guitar pickup. To get

1V, you need a preamp, which might or might not be embedded in the pickup - if it is, then the pickup will need a separate power supply to run the preamp.

Hope This Heps! RIch

Reply to
Rich Grise

According to Wiki:

"The output voltage of pickups varies between 100 mV rms to over 1 V rms for some of the higher output types."

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Do you have a good battery in the pickup. It has an amplifier built in to achieve over 1 volt.

Google is your friend.

John G.

Reply to
John G

it is very reasonable to have a signal level during the sustain part of the waveform for a plucked instrument. The few cycle amplitude for design _is_ about 1 V. The amplitude spec includes the transient part of the waveform for very good reason. ordinary musical instrument dynamics exceed 20 dB, guitars and violins easily exceed 30 dB not counting attack transients. The specification includes attack transients, that is why it is 14 dB higher than the relative steady state signals you measured.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller