hp slider switch replacement or recyclers

All,

One of the 3 contact slider switches on an HP 8505A is broken. Does anyone know of a 'junk yard' or recyclers for old parts?

Thanks - Dan

Reply to
dansawyeror

What is a HP 8505A?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I is a vector network analyzer circa 1982. The switch is a slider. I am not sure what else they may have been used. I would bet they were common in that era.

- Dan

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
dansawyeror

Do you have the service manual? A part number would make it easier to find.

only has the operation manual in PDF format. It shows it as 1978, which would make the design 30 years old. Can you post a picture of the damaged part on news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic by attaching it as a GIF, JPEG, or other common image file?

doesn't have the manual, either.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

dansawyeror hath wroth:

Which switch? I see several on the front panel:

As I vaguely recall, there is no switch assembly. The contacts are gold plated traces and large pads on the circuit board. The plastic slider has one or more spring loaded contacts inside. The usual problem is that the plastic slider become brittle with age and just crumbles. Usually the tapered handle that goes through the front panel is what breaks off. Is this what happened to yours? If so, think about taking it apart and just attaching a different handle. The rest of the switch assembly is just fine.

For hp test equipment parts and pieces, see:

I couldn't find any switches.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks for the reply. No the actual contact sliders came loose from the plastic slider. The copper/gold plating is fine. Upon inspection two of the slider assemblies are broken.

- Dan

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
dansawyeror

This is a standard problem with lots of HP equipment of that vintage. What we have done is to tap 0-80 holes into the plastic and then reattach the slider to the plastic. I have probably done this fifty times and I have never had one break a second time. The design was not good and the plastic nipple would break off. Any older parts you get would end up with the same problem more than likely.

Reply to
doug

Doug,

Thanks, I will look into that. Are there 0-80 screws?

- Dan

doug wrote:

Reply to
dansawyeror

Doug,

Thanks, I will look into that. Are there 0-80 screws?

- Dan

doug wrote:

Reply to
dansawyeror